Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Ever regret buying too many vintage machines?? >

Ever regret buying too many vintage machines??

Ever regret buying too many vintage machines??

Old 04-19-2016, 10:23 AM

I am up to 11 machines now -- yikes. I didn't intend to buy the latest one but I found a lovely Featherweight with case and accessories for $100, so I had to jump on that one.
I have 7 FWs, a Singer 327 and 404, and two Kenmores.
I think as long as you're using them and/or enjoy looking at them, keep them!
But then, I am an enabler.
Ila
Old 04-19-2016, 10:33 AM

Yes!! I definitely regret purchasing too many vintage machines. I will be rectifying that very soon!! I just cannot relate to them. I love them for their looks, their style, the history behind them etc etc. I learned a valuable lesson.. I am an admirer of vintage but do not enjoy stitching with them. Give me all the bells and whistles available! JMHO not meant to step on anyone's toes! JMHO
Old 04-19-2016, 10:47 AM

No regrets here, and I have more than 50 machines. About 13 are antique toys, bought in a lot for a reasonable price; they needed work. Restored, they make a fun display. Another four are early chainstitch miniatures, and then there are many handcranks of various makers and vintages, four treadles, a couple in cabinets, and portables. Every machine was bought for a reason -- sometimes a rather flimsy reason -- such as the 319w with the cool typewriter-like keys. Odd or even slightly strange mechanical features sing to me.

Right now I alternate between the 319, a 15-91 in a cabinet with a knee controller (love that!) and a Standard Rotary treadle, where my goal is to do free motion quilting using a recently acquired foot made for that machine. The foot works, but my technique.....not so much.

There isn't much more space available, so things are slowing down.

Dianne in Colorado
Old 04-19-2016, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Mickey2. I'm only using my Bernina. I had thought of trying out the Featherweight while I have my Bernina set up to quilt my Allietare! quilt. We'll see if I can get up the nerve. I'm not mechanically inclined. I don't think I could take any of them apart or fix anything that needed it.

Leslie
Old 04-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Power Poster

Seems like if you can follow directions to sew with a pattern you must be some what mechanically enclined.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:53 AM

I stopped bidding on a Featherweight this past week because I already have 3 vintage machines and I can't let myself get another without getting these all up to snuff first. At least that is what I told myself when I stopped bidding. I also like a deal and the FW was not going to be that - too many bidders. Told myself also that I will luck into a nice FW at some point in the future, and if not I'll still be fully happy. I don't have a store or selling outlet. It's me cramming them into my little workroom in which I can still move around...talking to myself.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by audsgirl View Post
...I'm only using my Bernina...We'll see if I can get up the nerve. I'm not mechanically inclined. I don't think I could take any of them apart or fix anything that needed it...
I'm sure you are more than capable enough, basic maintanance is made to be easy on these machines. Open lids, put them back in place, and there's usualy only one or two screws involved. Once you know the oil points you don't have to check the manual, you know where they are by turning the hand wheel. When you get to sew on machines like the Featherweigh or model 15-91 you will notice they have a very nice feel. Modern Berninas are very nice and compares well to anything available, but I was surpised at how smooth and nice model 201 is compared to modern machines too. It's a joy to work on it, and I have worked on very nice computerized models too.

Last edited by Mickey2; 04-20-2016 at 04:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 04:33 AM

I bought a Singer Touchtronic and had to put quite a bit of money into it before it would sew. The first time I used it, it spun a rubber gear, so I threw that one out.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:45 PM

I gone from two machines to 11 in the past month. I'm not quite at regret yet but seeing as how I haven't sewn a stitch since mid March I'm might get there soon if I don't do something with all of them.

One of my acquisitions was a 401a that works like a dream so I'm excited to see what I can do with it this weekend. And it was only $7!
Old 04-23-2016, 05:34 AM

After having 4 surgeries on my hand and wrist, it put a damper on my machine work. When I see how much is head of me, I get overwhelmed. Then I remember it is me mainly me putting the pressure on myself.

I love the adventure & research to learn about my machines, including needles. I love new friends I have made. I love to demonstrate treadles and listen peoples family stories. I love to help others work on family treadles. A friend & her granddaughter came over for an entire day an we serviced and taught them about their featherweights.

There is more to collecting than the machines themselves! Enjoy the passion & pass it on!

PS I have over 100 machines, but that is small # compared to others!