My two treadle machines

Old 04-23-2016, 05:55 AM

Default My two treadle machines

I've been reading a lot on these boards, and now feel like I'm ready to stick my toe in the water and try to rescue a sewing machine or two. I've bought 2 treadle machines at country auctions this year: one is a Singer 15 from 1909, in a parlour cabinet, which I thought was a real find. The machine needs cleaning, but it has all its parts. The cabinet needs a new spring for the lift thing with 2 holes on the side, where the belt passes through. [ATTACH=CONFIG]548403[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]548402[/ATTACH]

The other one I got just a few days ago. It's a Singer 27-4, from 1904, and looks really rough:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]548404[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]548405[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]548406[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]548407[/ATTACH]

Rust, dirt, missing lower shuttle cover - it's got it all. But encouraged by Glenn's tutorial on reviving an ancient machine, I've got hopes of bringing it back. The good thing is, despite the rust, everything moves, even the screws. I actually bought it because the cabinet HAS the spring I wanted, but then, I couldn't turn my back on the machine, so now it needs the spring for its cabinet, and I will have to continue searching.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sewing machine 005.JPG
Views:	664
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	548402   Click image for larger version

Name:	sewing machine 002.JPG
Views:	702
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	548403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer 27 008.JPG
Views:	808
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	548404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer 27 009.JPG
Views:	617
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	548405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer 27 011.JPG
Views:	682
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	548406  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Singer 27 012.JPG
Views:	618
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	548407  
Old 04-23-2016, 06:28 AM

I hope we get to see before and after picture when you get around to clean. Machines like these always catch my interest. I'm sure you will find the missing parts and hope they aren't very rare models. Even with all the rust and grime they look like they are well worth the time and effort to get them nice again.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:58 AM

Thanks! I've read that parts for the 27 are widely available, so I hope it won't be difficult to find the shuttle plate. The spring, though... They're available on eBay, but I'm in Canada, and the cost of shipping the part (with the metal plate that goes with it - you never find them separately) would make it more expensive than the whole machine and cabinet, which cost me $55 Canadian! That's why I thought it would be cheaper just to find a broken-down cabinet, take the spring and discard the rest. It's not an essential part - not necessary for running the machine, but I think it keeps the belt from slipping off and falling to the bottom of the cabinet every time you lower the machine.

The interesting thing about the auction I went to on Wednesday was that there were TWO treadle machines for sale, this one and a not-so-old one which I thought was a 15. I felt sure that everyone would be interested in this one because of the fancy iron legs, and I'd have to settle for the other. But instead, I got mine for $32.50 (just over $25US, I think) and the other went for $50! It was in good condition and worked well, but I thought it was rather boring-looking. But when I did an online search I discovered some interesting things about that OTHER machine.

It had the black "crinkle" finish with kind of measly decals - that made it rather uncommon. I even thought maybe someone had tried to refinish it, but changed my mind when I saw it had the "official" Singer name decoration on the top. I'd just never seen this rough sort of surface, I was used to the smooth, shiny finish of Singers. Its serial number started with JA, which meant it was built in St. John's between 1934 and 1941, I believe were the dates. Anyway, in the pictures I've seen of crinkle machines, I don't believe I've seen a treadle among them. So maybe that lady got herself a little prize!

Last edited by Fledrmaus; 04-23-2016 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:36 AM

I know parts can add considerably to the cost. Either way, you got the machine for a very good price and it's worth spending money and effort on these machines, considering a fixup can last a generation or two. I hate the idea of scavanging machines for parts, or toss out a machine for the cabinet. That's how we often source parts these days, but I hope it's not done all the time.

When I bought my 201K spool pin were missing, needed new motor belt, light needed replacement, on the pluss side it was in fairly good condition and the box of accessories was with the machine. I still need to work on the tiny cabinet it's in. Your machines are older than mine. It's a joy when you get them looking good and running smoothly. I emvy you the nice threadle cabinets a bit :- )
Old 04-23-2016, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fledrmaus View Post
b Its serial number started with JA, which meant it was built in St. John's between 1934 and 1941, I believe were the dates. Anyway, in the pictures I've seen of crinkle machines, I don't believe I've seen a treadle among them. So maybe that lady got herself a little prize!
Correction: according to www.singersewingmachineinfo.co.uk, the JA series was produced between 1924 and 1936, a little older than I had thought.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:37 PM

There is nothing that will hold the belt on when you lower a head, so you are not missing that. If you are referring to the spring on the skirt guard, which helps to get the belt on & off,let me know and I might be able to get you a contact who can make one. The parlor cabinet spring can be adjusted so "elevator" works correctly.

If I am misunderstanding your description of your needs, please let me know .
Old 04-24-2016, 03:35 AM

I've got a broken down cabinet like that out in the storage shed - actually had two of them for a while. Also have two very nice ones in the house (one the embossed version) and another in the Machine shed - and just brought home the older version that has the open lower part.

I'm kind of in love with that style parlor cabinet - have been since the very first time I saw one!

BTW - the crinkle (or godzilla) finish is normal, just what Singer was producing at a particular time frame. Being in a treadle is less common as treadles were less common at that time, but not unheard of. Keep in mind, often the only difference between a treadle and a electric machine was the flywheel put on, and those are interchangeable. The motor attaches to the boss in the back of the machine, so the same basic machine could be outfitted for treadle, hand crank or motor very easily. Potted motor machines are different, but both the 15 and 201 came in both versions.

Now, if you find a godzilla FW - that is a true find as very few of them were made!

Last edited by Macybaby; 04-24-2016 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:16 AM

The part I mean is the metal plate that is built into the cabinet, and springs up when you lift the machine up into working position. It looks like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]548456[/ATTACH]

It is located right under the balance wheel, and the belt goes up through one hole and down through the other. Here's someone else's machine where you can see it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]548457[/ATTACH]

I actually have the metal plate, but underneath it is a strong spring with a sort of long "finger" that stretches out underneath the plate. When the machine is folded down, the weight of it holds the plate down, but when it's raised the spring pushes it up so it lies flush with the table top. On my cabinet, the end of the spring finger was broken off, so the plate just hangs down. All i really need is the spring, but try to find them!

I actually have a 201K (first vintage machine I ever bought!) and it also has this spring/plate mechanism. Only since it's electric, there's only ONE hole in the plate, for an electric cord to pass through. The springs are all the same.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	plate.JPG
Views:	495
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	548456   Click image for larger version

Name:	treadle belt.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	548457  
Old 04-24-2016, 04:44 AM

I have a machine just like the one in the parlor cabinet, need to find a market for it because i need to down size.