Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UGH!!!  Bleeding Red >

UGH!!! Bleeding Red

UGH!!! Bleeding Red

Old 04-25-2016, 05:02 PM

Thanks much. I think I will try the Rit Dye set. Although this is "scraps" , I have 3 pieces that are 5" x 3 yards (think borders -- a fair amount of fabric) and I want to try at least once. Don't remember where I used this before. Thanks again
Old 04-25-2016, 05:53 PM

Please donate these fabric scraps. One woman's trash is another's treasure, with bonus pink pigment for several loads of wash in addition to many happy hours piecing and making due. Possibly pen a short note to explain why you are donating so that the recipient can be fourwarned.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:01 PM

Folks, I have had experience with the red. See my avatar. Believe me, I tried every "home" remedy suggested, I tried salt (lots of salt), I tried vinegar (2 gallons), hot water, cold water, none of it worked. My cousin had recommended that I try a dye setting product, but did not specify which. After checking every retail outlet in this town, I went online. I found the Rit Dye Setter, described as "Rit Laundry Treatment" on the top of the bottle and then "Dye Fixative" just below the center of the label. I used the product on the red borders and it worked. I re-tested the fabric after the treatment and it DID NOT BLEED ANYMORE. I recently bought some more as I've mentioned in my previous post on this thread. I have no financial interest in, nor am I a stockholder, etc., in the company making this product. I just used it, with fantastic result!
Jeanette
Old 04-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SweatyPie View Post
Please donate these fabric scraps. One woman's trash is another's treasure, with bonus pink pigment for several loads of wash in addition to many happy hours piecing and making due. Possibly pen a short note to explain why you are donating so that the recipient can be fourwarned.
Make sure that you mention that the fabric is a bleeder if you donate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2016, 04:34 PM

I bought 10 yards of a red print to put on the back of my DD quilt. I washed it 7 times; with color catchers and using Retayne. Nothing helped. I did not try the Rit product. But have put that yardage aside. I will use it on a comforter with a dark background. Talk about disappointed and costly. I will not do that again.