Threading a serger tip

Old 04-27-2016, 06:39 AM

I use G-U-M it is a floss. I don;t like it for flosssing but it sure works great for getting thread though those loopers
Old 04-27-2016, 10:27 AM

I have rethreaded the serger from scratch just to know I can do it but I use the cut near spool and make a knot--put all settings to 0 and pull the thread through. It is the needles that are a pain to replace the needles or to thread--Sometimes I tip the serger backwards to make the job easier.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarleneC View Post
I have rethreaded the serger from scratch just to know I can do it but I use the cut near spool and make a knot--put all settings to 0 and pull the thread through. It is the needles that are a pain to replace the needles or to thread--Sometimes I tip the serger backwards to make the job easier.
I had to tip my machine, too. setting it on a higher table helped,too.

I had more of a problem with getting the needles inserted into their proper holes (could not see them without the mirror) and threading them than threading the loopers. Of the older machines that I have, I think the Huskylock 905 is the easiest to rethread.

Another tip: If your machine uses a hex (allen) wrench to turn the set screws - one can get replacement ones at an Ace-type hardware store for less than $1.00 each I tend to lose/misplace mine, so taking the proper sized one along to the store (before losing it so one can have a duplicate) is a good idea.

Also - if your machine has set screws - be careful not to remove them completely from their holes - they are a challenge to find again!
Old 04-27-2016, 11:01 AM

Yes, those special needles for coverstitch machines have tiny holes, but my coverstitch machine (Elna 444) came with a needle threader that is magic. ......... And is not like any other needle threader on the market. ......And it works great....... Here is the link, picture, and downloadable instructions http://www.elna.com/en-gw/accessorie...type=12&id=356

Hope this helps because I tried the knot and pull technique and got stopped at the needle hole so no help there.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:10 AM

Just so you know, a stand alone coverstitch machine is almost as easy to thread as your regular sewing machine. It is not anywhere near the hassle of a serger. I have both, use both. I take a deep breath before changing my serger, but never blink to change a coverstitch machine.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:44 AM

I never change the tension controls to add new thread. I tie the new threads on at the first thread guide on the bottom loopers and sew until the new thread comes through. The needle threads I just pull out and re-thread the needles with the new color. I find it very easy to thread these needles. They seem to have larger eyes.

Of course sometimes the thread breaks, but I find this only happens when someone else is standing there watching. I haven't had to re-thread for years at a time; and then I take it to a class or something, it breaks and I have to remember how to do it in front of someone else.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:13 PM

I also have one of the air threader sergers and love it. For years I had one of the others and used the cut and tie method and crossed my fingers that it would thread without breaking.