Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
felting recycled  wool >

felting recycled wool

felting recycled wool

Old 05-01-2016, 04:17 AM

Default felting recycled wool

Hello Everyone, I have a question about felting wool. I bought a few skirts at the local Salvation Army yesterday with the intention of felting it and making a wool applique project.

I washed it and dried it, but not sure if it's really felted. Some of it was a looser weave so that has gone back into the washer. But a few pieces I THINK are felted, but not really sure.

Also, any ideas on taking the color out so I can re dye it?

Tommorow is 50 % off for seniors, so planning on going to a different location. Any help, hints you can give me about this new to me venture will be appreciated.

Thanks, CindyB
Old 05-01-2016, 05:01 AM

You need to boil wash it to shrink it and tighten up the weave, your fabric also needs to be 100% wool and not a blend or it won't felt as well.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

I have felted a ton of clothing, both woven and knits (sweaters). You can tell if it's felted by checking a raw edge. See if you can tease a thread out, in other words see if it ravels. If it does, it's not felted. You can try washing/drying again. Due to the additional agitation, a top loader will do a much better job felting than a front loader. Not all wool will felt. I have purchased 100% merino wool sweaters, with garment care tags saying 'dry clean only' washed in hot water, dried in hot dryer and came out just like they went in. I have had great luck with ladies wool blazers, so look for those. I have never tried to re-dye, so I can't help you there.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

I've been recycling, felting wools for years. I use a hot wash, with detergent then a Cold rinse. Toss in regular setting dryer. Comes out great. I've never had to ( boil). Felting is a process achieved from the agitation, detergent, hat & cold. Sometimes a longer cycle is necessary on loose weaves-- I just keep an eye on the washer, catch it before it starts to drain and reset a opulent times. To see if your wool is felted enough, when it comes out of the dryer cut a small piece from an edge, if the edge doesn't fray it's ready.if it does fray it needs more felting.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:28 PM

Check out the Dharma Trading Company for anything to do with dying.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:31 PM

Wool is a natural fiber, so the old stand-by Rit Color Remover should work.
Hot water and agitation, followed by a hot dryer, is my recipe for felting. Have fun!
Old 05-02-2016, 05:11 AM

I felt knitted wool often for felted slippers and purses. The felting occurs in the washer and you will be able to tell by the amount of shrinkage and there should be no loose threads when felted properly. Knitted felt is air dryed only. Even with 100% wool it can take 2 or 3 washes to get the desired felt. You do not want to be able to see any original woven lines (warp & weft) of the fabric. I have a sanitize cycle on my front loader that works well. Lots of agitation and heat is required which means the longest cycle with the hottest water that you have. Throwing towels in your felting wash load also creates more agitation. I always put towels in. My friend and I have knitted the same slippers out of the same yarn. Mine felt perfectly. She has a different washing machine and it does not felt nearly as well.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I've been recycling, felting wools for years. I use a hot wash, with detergent then a Cold rinse. Toss in regular setting dryer. Comes out great. I've never had to ( boil). Felting is a process achieved from the agitation, detergent, hat & cold. Sometimes a longer cycle is necessary on loose weaves-- I just keep an eye on the washer, catch it before it starts to drain and reset a opulent times. To see if your wool is felted enough, when it comes out of the dryer cut a small piece from an edge, if the edge doesn't fray it's ready.if it does fray it needs more felting.

I am Curious about threads clogging up the washer and the dryer???

Sandy
Old 05-02-2016, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

i've heard of people using the laundramat to wash and dry on super hot to get shrinkage.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:34 AM

The newer washers, even top loading, don't agitate as well as older models. Gentler on cloths but not great when you want to felt. So I'm not doing load after load, I've started to do it manually. I put a small trashcan in the laundry sink, add a bit of soap and hot water. Add the pieces to be felted, maybe some tennis balls or jeans for additional friction and then treat it like a butter churner, using a clean plunger (buy one for this purpose). When everything is good and wet, I also add boiling water and put on some dishwashing gloves. The trashcan keeps any stray fibers from going down the drain. I've been pretty pleased with the results and it is a nice workout. : ) It takes about 20 minutes but you can space it out - just keep your water hot, replacing it if necessary.

Edited to add - I then dry on hot after putting the pieces loosely into zippered pillow cases to contain the fuzz. Every once in a while I will repeat the process if I think it needs more felting. You can always felt more but you can't unfelt - if size is important keep a close eye on your work during the process.

Last edited by Notwendy; 05-02-2016 at 09:37 AM.