Quilt Challenge!

Old 01-18-2010, 02:45 PM

Great idea! I am new to this listing, but my needlecraft group last year donated over 60 quilts made entirely from scraps of fabric that were donated. You can use old mattress pads, or flannel sheets for the batting. Here in Texas, we don't necessarily need heavy quilts. Our projects were donated to a Blankets for Babies program which distributes across the city to all non-profit groups. Also, our local Child Protective Services likes to receive quilts for children and gives a quilt to each child when they are adopted. Can't wait to see pictures of some the ideas people are working with... I already started on mine.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:23 AM

Maybe , I will try this, I take so long to get started,but maybe watching you guys work on yours will inspire me. Jackie
Old 01-21-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Paula Z in AZ
Originally Posted by Kaye-Kaye
I have gone to the quiltville site and have just about chosen my first try at a scrap quilt. I have it narrowed down to either the the Crayon Box or the Crumbs, Crumbs, Crumbs. I want one that has a very scrappy look. I have been out of the mood to sew for the last month (too much sewing this fall) and now I am getting excited to get things going.
Kaye-Kaye,

If you decide to do the Crayon Box .. "Quiltblockswappers" is Yahoo group doing a block swap using Bonnie's pattern (they got permission first ;) . Rules are 'none' because it's scrappy :D :D :D ... 12 block due (this is the good part!) April 25, 2010....gives everyone time and think of the pretty blocks you'll get in exchange :lol:

If you're interested come on over ... :thumbup: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Quiltblockswappers/
Okay, I went over and sign up for the group. Now I have to decide if I am ready to make the commitment to do the swap. I think I will. Deadlines motivate me!
Old 01-22-2010, 04:44 PM

Hi to those that are making scrape quilts there are several patterns in Country Quilts, winter 2003, I know its seven years ago , but I am a hoarder(LOL) but i never through out a quilt mag, Lenny
Old 01-26-2010, 06:08 AM

I only have a very small amount... but since I'm getting more fabric and stuff I'll be sure to use left overs!!! I'm going to get a container for just the scrap and stash stuff...
Old 01-26-2010, 02:24 PM

I've never done a quilt challenge on here before but will do this one. I have tons of scraps (I know because I've had to relocate them or be covered up by them). I'm doing a baby logcabin for a cousin's expected baby girl. "Daddy" tried to convince me that SHE will be sleeping in a queen size bed and was particulary fond of log cabin pattern. I told "Daddy" there's a reason I do baby quilts - SMALL!!! So hence, the log cabin baby quilt... AND all of the quilt top is from scraps. Will post when I get the top done. Thanks for the challenge.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:15 PM

that is so cool, quiltville (Winston Salem NC) is only 22 mi from me
Old 01-27-2010, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
I only have a very small amount... but since I'm getting more fabric and stuff I'll be sure to use left overs!!! I'm going to get a container for just the scrap and stash stuff...
Good idea! But be careful, that container will multiply before your very eyes! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-27-2010, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Connie Hadba
Thanks for the compelemnts everyone. The method is not very difficult to do. You quilt each block as you make it. Remember the Flip and Sew tablerunner we did for a chatroom class? The method is very similar to that except you are working one block at a time. A friend gave me the directions on a photocopied sheet and I do not know where she got them. The method is versatile enough that you could do several quilts using it.

But with the BOMs coming up for 2008, there is too much to do to repeat something already tried. Onward and upward. :-)
Connie
I make quilts by this method also. I found the technique at www.treadleon.net. Then look in their Quilt Shop and then at How to Join Prequilted Blocks. I'll be teaching this to my quilt guild next month. Busy making scrappy little quilts to use as samples for the program and teaching aids. Love your half and half blocks and will definitely use that idea. Thanks..
Old 01-27-2010, 06:05 AM

I have an ongoing stash of 6" strip pieced blocks (diagonal) that I've had going for at least 2 years. One of these days I will actually make it into a quilt....or two....or three! :roll: