Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric >

Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric

Wal-Mart/ Joann's fabric

Old 01-25-2010, 05:06 PM

Long story short, took my first quilting class, spent over $150 on lqs fabric...spent money for the lessons...what did I end up with?? Nothing completed. It was a terrible instructor, who was ONLY interested in selling the fabric, which I bought..and not about teaching a beginner. Iwas a beginner, and it was suppose to be a beginners class, and yet only 2 of us were beginners. I went to 3 lessons, and left the last time with the intention of NEVER setting foot in a lqs again. I didn't for a very very long time. They were so intimidating to the two of us newbies, I wonder what even happened to the other gal. I THEN start quilting when my new neighbor moved in..and she was so wonderful a teacher, and taught me about fabric, quilting and quality. I have NEVER finished the $150 quilt, although it is in a box, still waiting for me after 10 years, and maybe someday I will dig out the fabric and do something with it...BUT..I have purchased fabric from Walmart..in fact, $1 a yard fabric. I made 2 Trip Around the World quilts for my first attempt at a large quilt, and they BOTH get repeated washings, and I love love love them. One on my guest bed, the other on MY bed. Yes, quality means a lot to me, and the finished project has to be pleasurable to YOU and you only..even if you are giving it away. I have since, purchased a ton of fabric, and I buy what is 'good' quality fabric for the project I am doing. Yes, I have since spent $150 on a quilt kit, and frankly, my $1 a yard fabric is as beautiful as the expensive. The moral of that story is...LOVE what you do with what you have, and it will give you the pleasure you so desire. And Yes, my nose is just for that....smelling! I love the debate..that's why there are so many different quilts..just like us quilters and opinions. The love is in the heart of the quilter.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:33 PM

Wow, We have discussed a lot of opinions on fabrics. The batting is another story. It really depends on what type of quilt you are making. If you want the "old fashioned wrinkled" look, use cotton (I use warm & natural). When you wash the quilt it will show some wrinkles. If you don't want that look, the polyester works great. If you are hand quilting and working with it for a while, it does tend to separate (that is why I don't like it) I hand pieced a flannel quilt and then hand quilted it with warm and natural and it is so heavy, polyester would have been better. I learn something every time I make a quilt.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:54 PM

i can't believe all the wonderful advice on this topic. thanks to everyone i took the 2 baby quilts i did--one with appliqué hearts and one with embroider hearts and 'donated' them to the rv park where we are staying. they have a 'park project' where they make quilts for the local fire department and other organizations in town. those quilts are made with all kinds of fabric and backing and filling. never a complaint yet. the interesting thing is my two quilts are going to be raffled to raise funds for their project. i could not believe it. here i thought they should go in the trash bag.
thanks to all of you for making me see that, there is no right or wrong to quilting, buy what you can afford and enjoy, enjoy.
next topic?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:37 AM

I NEVER EVER BUY FABRIC FROM WAL-MART OR JOANN'S. FOR A COUPLE OF REASONS, THE QUALITY IS NOT GOOD IN EITHER PLACE. I LOVE GOOD QUALITY FABRIC AND THE SECOND REASON WE NEED TO KEEP OUR SMALL/LARGE PRIVATELY OWNED SHOPS IN BUSINESS. THAT IS WHERE YOU HAVE THE TALENTED TEACHERS, CONCERNED OWNERS AND THE PERSONAL SERVICE WE HAVE ALL COMNE TO LOVE.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:02 AM

I have not bought anyfabric from joannes too far away(bought by Walmart last year. :) I usually buy from my local quilt shop.
If I buy from Hancocks ., the fabric is crummy
kCarol Gross(ceegeeOr Helen) I never remember which name I put down.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:04 AM

I buy at both Joann's and Walmart but i am very carful what I get...I feel alot...pull on it...see how much if any it frays....if it looks like gauge then I tend to stay clear of it but what I have got from both places i have been very satisfied and has made some beautiful quilts. You just have to use your sense of feel and sight alot.

Donna
Old 01-26-2010, 07:17 AM

One thing I have noticed about the difference between quilt shop and Joanns is the colors are very different.
I have taken pieces to match that I bought from a shop and tried to match at Joanns. Joanns colors are not as rich, they are very different and just do not match up.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 AM

A Thousand Bolts has some great deals. I got 35 yards of fabric at their year end sale for $130. All top quality. I don't think I paid over $3.50 a yard.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:29 AM

I usually shop JoAnns for everyday use type quilts. I shop the lqs when I want to make "heirloom" type quilt. btw my favorite lqs is a 3 hour drive from home. there are several in my home town but The Quilt Patch will always have my heart.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:37 AM

Quite by accident, I found Sew Spider.com. She has good prices, her matieral is top quality, and she is very Service- Minded.