"Weigh In"

Old 01-26-2010, 07:48 AM

jwwskis I know how you feel about getting the one lb back on, I have done the same thing. I have found out it is better for me not to get on the scales everyday because my weight will fluctuate some. It can be very discouraging but, it has to come off sooner or later when you know your on track with your goals! Hang in there for all of us need each other!!

So far we have on board dakotamaid Mamagus beckyw Charlee Mrs Mel sew cornie littlehud bluebird janRN lacikat quiltincharlotte jwwskis joeyoz ChasingHawk PamG Karyn purplemem barnbum Pats8e8 obie2 QuiltMom Teacup LovingIzabella QuiltingGrannie QuiltMania sewspecial watterstide wvdek Lneal BrendaB Rose Hall laparshall Sharon- NC Oklahoma Suzie Mama Bear61 quiltnana vjengels Alu-Rathbone

Glad you've joined us vjengels and Alu-Rathbone!!
Old 01-26-2010, 07:53 AM

I get on the scales 360 days a year. It helps to know what makes your weight go up temporarily--like high sodium foods. It's a habit I'll never break. A good one though.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:55 AM

It sounds like everyone is looking forward to taking care of themselves. Everyone of us is worth making healthy choices in our lives. And we can all do something. I started out with such small steps at the end of last summer and I kept thinking that it wasn't going to do anything because I had so much weight to lose. But then I switched my thinking around to only positive thoughts and no more beating myself for being too fat. Only pats on the back, because a walk to the mailbox is a workout compared to sitting on the couch. So I started walking to the mailbox on the days I felt I could do it. (I have arthritis in my feet and the flare ups prevented me from moving a lot). But now I am walking around the block, and I have so much energy. One of the tools I use is Jonathan Roche's No Excuses Workouts. You can check out and use his motivational system without spending a dime. I signed up for and have been reading his encouraging e-mails for nearly one year now. This is a very gentle and simple way to motivate yourself to get started.
This is an excerpt from one of his emails:
Here is a sample 6 minute version of the NEWO: http://www.noexcusesworkouts.com/Articles.asp?ID=131

The 6-minute Low Impact No Excuses Workout that is done sitting in a chair (if you are completely new to strength training this is a great place to start):

http://www.bigtent.com/usr/files/270...es_Workout.doc

It is definately worth checking out. He also has a weekly blog talk radio call-in show if you were interested in hearing or talking with him.

I have lost 23 lbs since November. It has been coming off slowly, but the beauty of it is: it is coming off. My focus hasn't been on the scale so much as it has been on my energy level. The more energy, the more movement I am able to do.
Good luck to everyone, I hope you each find a way to keep yourselves motivated.
Linda
Old 01-26-2010, 07:56 AM

You are welcome! I need all the support I can get... the bf isn't too pleased I want to lose weight... HE siad something about he likes me all nice and soft... He received a lecture on health and weight and how you don't say those things to a woman... My mom supports me...
Old 01-26-2010, 07:58 AM

I have just gotten a new scale, one with all the fat and bone measuring stuff and just have been doing checks. I do plan to weight Thursday before going to the meeting to compare my scale to theirs. I do not want to become a slave to my scale.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

I agree with the weighing only at intervals, the numbers can drive you crazy. I have have decided it is not about the number but rather how I feel and look that are important. Getting on the scale once a week works best for me.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:41 AM

Alu, that is a great Program!!!!! that's exactly how I started running when I decided to get serious about it. You keep at it, just like it was designed and before you know it, You'll be moving along like you've been running all your life! GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:43 AM

Alu, the change is scary for them, that's why they have a hard time supporting us. If we cahnge, then they have to change, or be left behind, keep that in mind, and don't give up.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:44 AM

Once a week is what I do! Remember that if you have what I call a "high sodium" day, that you can "gain" 3 or 4 lbs overnight! It's NOT a "real" gain tho...to gain 3 lbs in a day you'd have to consume 10500 calories ABOVE maintenance! It's water weight caused by the sodium, so when you step on the scales, and it reads a higher number than the last time you weighed in, consider what you've had to eat in the past 2 or 3 days. If you know you stuck to your calorie limits, and remember eating higher sodium levels, consider that it's not fat! Drink lots of water and it should be gone in 2 or 3 days. You need to flush the salt out of your system.
I'm not losing this week, need to concentrate more! I'm holding steady tho, so in my mind, that's a win!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Alu_Rathbone
You are welcome! I need all the support I can get... the bf isn't too pleased I want to lose weight... HE siad something about he likes me all nice and soft... He received a lecture on health and weight and how you don't say those things to a woman... My mom supports me...
Oh my! Watch for sabotage! Sometimes, our fellas like us bigger because they really DO love us, and know that other guys are less likely to want us at our higher weights. They don't even look at it that way...it's subconcious. It's also subconsious that they will bring home treats for us because they love us! They don't stop to consider what it does to our weight loss program....they just want to do something special for us, and they know we LOVE chocolate....or they want us to have a night off from cooking so they bring in a pizza....fully loaded, extra cheese, super sized!
We need to remember that they only do it because they love us, and because they're clueless. I put the chocolate in the dish over in the corner of a room that I don't hang out in and tend to forget it's there...when I DO remember and want some, I take one or two pieces. (Hershey kisses...they're about 25 calories each) When he brings home pizza....I eat a large salad first and then have one slice. He's happy...I'm happy...and it's not caused a row between us.
Ice cream is a little harder for me! But I found that if I use a small bowl, and use the ice cream scoop (1/2 cup) and use the smallest spoon in the drawer so I take tiny bites at a time (a baby spoon, actually) then I'm happy with just that one scoop!