Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • need help cutting an accurate square >
  • need help cutting an accurate square

• need help cutting an accurate square

Old 05-15-2016, 07:37 PM

I would cut the 5 1/4 in strip and then cut the other way. Not unless you can draw the sq on the other side and cut it with a scissors.
    Old 05-15-2016, 09:37 PM

I would cut stripes the desired width then sub cut into squares,making sure you are square every time.
    Old 05-16-2016, 02:36 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
    You could cut a 5 1/4 strip from your fabric and then sub-cut the other way 5 1/4 inches and you'd have your square.
    Seldom is there a pattern that requires an extra 1/4" cut. This is what I would do. I have a 5.5" square and I have the glow tape by Omnigrid to mark the 5.25" line.
    http://www.joann.com/omnigrid-glow-l...roduct&start=1
    In 30 years of quilting, I have never had to cut a 1/4" extra. Mostly it is a 1/2" to give you a finished whole number for your finished square. Can't wait to see your quilt completed.
    Old 05-16-2016, 07:35 AM

ManiacQuilter2, you're right about the extra 1/4" cut being seldom seen, but it is in the Craftsy 2016 Free BOM Garden Charms. She wants it to quilt to a 5" square (which did away with my being able to simply use charm squares.) I don't know what that woman was thinking.

I can't cut it out in a strip like many have suggested because, I'll need the rest for the other quilt pieces. So I must cut only ONE.

I've taken your suggestion about the glow tape. I don't have a 5.5 but I do have a 6.5" one and have marked out my lines. I'm going to try it for a few cuts.

If I still run to trouble I'll just make out that template that someone else suggested and try that.

Thanks all for trying to help.
    Old 05-16-2016, 07:43 AM
    Power Poster

In your situation (having a kit and needing to cut various sizes from the fabrics) I would look at all the pieces that need to be cut from the first fabric. Figure out how you can make the cuts efficiently. Chances are that you can cut a strip of some size and then cut many of the pieces from that strip, even if they are different sizes. If necessary, diagram it on paper. I've had to do this many times, especially when running out of a particular fabric.

I agree that 5.25" is a strange size square to cut, but perhaps there's a reason for it. I would read through all the directions to convince myself that they really meant 5.25", rather than 5.5". Good luck.
    Old 05-16-2016, 07:44 AM
    Power Poster

If it needs to quilt to a 5" square, you need 5.5" to start with. Check the directions again.

Edited: - I just looked at the directions for the first month of the Craftsy 2016 Free BOM Garden Charms. You're cutting squares for an hourglass block. This uses the same math as for side setting triangles, adding 1.25" to the finished size. You will wind up with 4" hourglass blocks, finished size.

Last edited by dunster; 05-16-2016 at 07:59 AM.
    Old 05-16-2016, 07:45 AM
    Power Poster

I would use a pencil and just mark the 5-1/4 inch square in a corner and cut around it.

Then either scissor cut it out, or rotary cut on the lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	square 1.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	550110  
    Old 05-16-2016, 07:52 AM
    Power Poster

This is my thinking. most require a 1/4" seam allowance all around.
    Originally Posted by dunster
    If it needs to quilt to a 5" square, you need 5.5" to start with. Check the directions again.
    Old 05-16-2016, 08:14 AM
    Power Poster

I would also follow dunster's advice - if you need to cut various sized pieces from the piece of fabric in a kit,
    draw them out - starting with the largest pieces first.

I have drawn on the back side of fabrics several times - one can use a soap sliver or a white chalk pencil for tentative layouts.
    Old 05-16-2016, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by dray965
    I feel so dumb by asking this, but here goes. Is there an easy way to cut a 5-1/4" square? I don't have a special ruler, just a regular ruler one would use with a rotary cutter and I've already messed it up. I measured and cut but My cutter went wonky on me and I've already messed up the 1st square.

I've got several more to go and since I'm working from a kit, I'm not sure I'll have enough material to make mistakes.

After that one went south on me I quit and came straight to you girls. I'm sure some of you can advise me on how to measure and then cut just one. I know how to cut strip and THEN cut squares, but I have never had to cut just ONE 5 1/4" square from several of my fabrics. Yikes!

Help!
    1) I get the most accurate cutting results by spray STARCHING the fabric I'll be cutting from (before I cut into it)

(Best Press, Flatter, etc. don't yield the same results for me).

2) Try to use a ruler that's close to the size square you're cutting.

I hope these tips help.

Good luck ��