Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 05-19-2016, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
Coopah, so sorry. I feel the pain. Marsha get busy, shut the phone off and catch up your sewing. Learn to get your priorities in order.lol. I'm sure if you get just a few minutes you can catch up too. good luck to both of you
Coopah, Hope the damage wasn't too bad. That is why I don't really like electronic machines. My Viking Designer II has an electrical problem and I haven't found a repairman in the area yet. Fortunately my ancient heavy duty Kenmore machine is able to stand in for piecing. Feed-dogs won't move so can't FMQ small projects on it, but I do have my Bailey Pro 15 to do that sitting down. Someday I need to get courageous and take off the bottom of the Kenmore and see if I can free up the feed-dog mechanism. I think it is partially down because the teeth don't work like they used to.

Lawsonmugs, I didn't turn off the phone because needed to have it on as Rich was trucking cattle and sometimes he needs me to either help him or take a message to a phone-less Amish. Today I had to go 7 or 8 miles to do the latter. The Amish called him when he was at the livestock sale with his first load so couldn't get the whole message. I had to go to the farm to see if they really wanted him to pick up their bull on his 2nd load and to see if someone would be there to handle the bull. I could see the men in a back field and waited for a while. A teen-age girl came out to find out what I wanted, said the bull was caught in the barn, then headed across the pasture and a field to get the men IN BARE FEET!

I did get clues 2 and 3 done!!!! Just a quick scan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clues 2 and 3.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	550335  
Old 05-19-2016, 03:33 PM

Veronika, I love it! Your orange looks like tulips.

AngelinaNR, I love yours also. I had problems with the quarter triangles also. The squares should have been 5 1/2 inches to allow full seams. I made my seams a little smaller than scant 1/4 inch and made them do. I may make the quilt larger and will cut those squares 5 1/2 inches for any more that I make. Clue 2 worked OK. I should have made my seams a little smaller, but they will work fine - just a little skimpy in size. Can be adjusted when putting quilt together. I need to try sewing beside the pencil mark (and on the right side of it!) I think that was my problem with clue 2.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

marsh, where do you live? I live in Missouri and we have a amish community about 20 miles from here. My husband and I have beef cattle also. I'm glad you got some sewing done. Your blocks are very pretty. I really like that leaf fabric. When I sew the hst's I sew right next to the line not on it. I also made my starting squares 5 1/2" and had no trouble squaring to 4 1/2". Can't wait to see Saturdays clue.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:05 PM

We live in Western New York - about 60 miles South-West of Buffalo. Some of the Amish in our area are from out your way. They live less than a mile from us. The biggest and oldest Amish community is south of Buffalo. Most of our neighbors are from there. Before we "retired" we had a large (to us at the time) dairy farm of around 200 milking cows, heifers, calves, and bulls - all registered. Now we have a Diesel truck and a 20 foot cattle trailer with which we haul cattle to sales, from farm to farm, from farm to pasture and back, and also any other 4 footed creature that will fit in the trailer. Also the Amish want building supplies, furniture, etc. moved from one place to another - cheap moving van. It is an interesting life, keeps us near the animals, but is now beginning to be a little too much for us. We are both in our 70s (75 and 77) with bad shoulders. My knees are new and Rich's hips are new, but shoulders are not so easily replaced at our age and are not recommended - But.......what else would we do with ourselves (except quilt)? After all, we are farmers..... Farmers never retire. Around here if you no longer have cattle you haul them.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:06 PM

Thanks paintmejudy, anoka quilter, lawsonmugs, bluebonnets, and marshamarriot for your empathy and for not telling me I'm an idiot. I guess that's fairly obvious at this point and doesn't need to be stated. The machine is at the doctor's. We gently put the bottom with the top of the machine this AM, put in the plugs for power and the foot control...and it worked! No new machine!! The bottom had little plastic extensions that needed to fit into the bottom, and we just couldn't get it to seat exactly right. So she is now at the docs. Meanwhile, I'm going to read the posts and get going on selecting fabric. I have a FW (not new or spruced up) that will be useable for this train. So, I'll see you Saturday!! Really am hopeful to not have any more adventures!!
Old 05-19-2016, 06:29 PM

Thank you, Marsha.

Mary, I'm in Missouri, too. Milked and had beef cattle for years, though not anymore.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

Mary, another dumb question, do you butcher your own cows or do you buy in the store?
Old 05-20-2016, 06:33 AM

Lovely blocks, Marsha.

Glad your machine is okay, Coopah!

Have you heard? Tomorrow is Saturday! It's almost clue time.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:44 AM

I woke thinking today was Saturday! Oh well, tomorrow is only a day away.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:47 AM

Glad your machine is fixable Coopah.... I've done that with the computer keyboard but so far not with my machine Waiting not so patiently for our final clue tomorrow..... may not get to sewing as I have my walking group in the morning and going to see a performance of Joseph and the Amazing Tech. Dreamcoat in the afternoon....
Was hoping someone would have brought a breakfast snack to the club car... but pretty quiet back there.... so will just enjoy my coffee and head off to the pool. Have a good day!