Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride >

#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

#13 Mystery Quilt Train Ride

Old 05-24-2016, 04:43 AM

Very pretty ladies. I was on the train but procrastinated and didn't do any of this one. I did write out the directions for later. I'm hoping that the next train is a lap quilt.

Judy, do you know when the next one will be? we all love your mysteries so much that we don't want the fun to stop!
Old 05-24-2016, 08:55 AM

The best thing about Judy's patterns is that you can make them into different sizes just by making more blocks.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:05 PM

Yes, Anoka, that is what I have been trying to do lately. In fact, someone asked how to make a lap from this pattern, and I told her to make 5 times the number of blocks! A couple times when I did lap size, some of the gals wanted to make a wall hanging. So figure this is the best way to go.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
Marshamarriott... Your block is gorgeous. Reminds me of the Poinsettia block I envisioned. If your lime green pieces were another red and the gold was your lime green, its exactly what I had pictured in my head. Sure is going to make a pretty quilt!
My flash sure worked overly well. The fabrics aren't quite that bright....... Even though these are fall leaves, the berries sure look Poinsettia centers. I thought it would work from the start of fall all through to Christmas! I have fabrics for a Christmas tablecloth that I plan to make from this same pattern. The print is Poinsettias on a black background and I have both green and red with metallic flecks in them and a black with a small print in reds and greens. Still need something for a background yet. Somehow they will be worked into this block. Will design it now, but probably will not make it until later, maybe next year. I have the purple wedding quilt to make for newlyweds and another which will be a Bargello in aquas, blues and greens for an October wedding. The Bargello is packed up with pattern enclosed. I like to make up kits and add pattern so I don't forget what I was planning to do. There are also 2 or 3 other kits I have made up waiting for me to get started on them. They may have a long wait .......... I am too tempted by Mysteries. I did 5 last fall through New Years, working on them at the same time. I didn't get the parts mixed up even though chain-sewed 2 or 3 at a time.

As for the purples, I have 20 fabrics and have now picked out 5 that I hope will go together for that quilt - the next major project.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
Jan, the clerk at JOANNs might not be good with the computer....ask for the manager they will get the item number from the info on the selvage...... or they should not be a manager yet !!!!!
I tried several different stores and then corporate. They all said the same thing... without the number they can't track it. They said its sort of a generic number on the selvage and doesn't refer to that exact fabric. I've made 12 blocks and could possibly get a couple more out of my scraps, if I decided to. I think I will probably just add black sashing and a black border for a lap quilt. I don't need more blocks but might just make more and see how many I get. Could always use more for a runner or table topper. ;o) They're addictive!
Old 05-24-2016, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
Yes, Anoka, that is what I have been trying to do lately. In fact, someone asked how to make a lap from this pattern, and I told her to make 5 times the number of blocks! A couple times when I did lap size, some of the gals wanted to make a wall hanging. So figure this is the best way to go.
Actually 5 times would make (20) 12" blocks, which is way more than I use for a lap quilt with sashing and border. I use 12 to 15 blocks depending on how tall the person is. I like mine about 48x60 but made my sister's 48x72. But that's my preference; figured I'd mention it in case someone doesn't have enough extra fabric for 20 blocks.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:57 PM

Nice block NanaKathy55!! I agree with you on green for the border . . .
Old 05-25-2016, 06:46 AM

wow they are all lokin purdy Ha Ha I need to post mine,just havethings I am trying to do so haven't taken the time
Old 05-25-2016, 07:35 AM

Maybe you can post a picture and maybe one of us might either have the fabric or look at Joann's where they live..I will look at our Joann's for you

Originally Posted by Just Jan View Post
I tried several different stores and then corporate. They all said the same thing... without the number they can't track it. They said its sort of a generic number on the selvage and doesn't refer to that exact fabric. I've made 12 blocks and could possibly get a couple more out of my scraps, if I decided to. I think I will probably just add black sashing and a black border for a lap quilt. I don't need more blocks but might just make more and see how many I get. Could always use more for a runner or table topper. ;o) They're addictive!
Old 05-25-2016, 07:35 AM

OK, used up my scraps. Got one more 12" block for a total of 13. Then I found another green and downsized the blocks to 9" finished size and got 4 blocks from the leftovers. Will be using 12 for a lap quilt and don't know yet what I'll make with the extra one. I love the 4 little blocks and will use them for a topper or runner. I stretched the scraps so hard they squeeled! Anxiously awaiting the final clue on Saturday and will decide then. Here is a scan of one of my little 9" blocks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	#13 little 001.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	550784