Feather weight attachments

Old 05-31-2016, 02:44 PM

Yes the same type needles as your 15 and 99. Since you have a few attachments there's no hurry, and you can take your time sorting out which you think might be worth getting.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:34 PM

I highly recommend getting an LED bulb for your featherweight. Those traditional bulbs can give you one heck of a burn when you reach through the harp to grab fabric or snip thread.
Enjoy! I love featherweights.
Ila
Old 06-01-2016, 03:06 AM
Power Poster

Regular needles but insert flat side toward the shaft and thread right to left.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:51 AM

I second the recommendation for an LED bulb! I gave myself a nice little burn on the back of my hand before I took that advice for myself.

I was just tuning mine up last night, it's going on vacation with me this weekend. It's such a nice little machine to sew on - I don't use it regularly at home but every time I take it out and use it I'm reminded of how sweet it is. A wonderful little piecing machine. Congratulations on getting yours!
Old 06-01-2016, 09:41 AM

I recommend getting a good quality bobbins!!!! The recommended sew-classic has quality bobbins and parts. The low priced bobbins can cause you big problems. You can download a 221 manual free from the Singer.com web site.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:00 AM

Over the years there were a few alterations to the Featerweight. RebeccaG, have you looked up the serial number on yours and found a production date? Among them were slight changes to the the bobbin case, race and hook, if you ever need an extra for some reason (like having one dedicated to a particular thread weight) make sure it's the right one. Here's a direct link to a manual. I like the chromed plates with the art nouveau decor on the chromed plates, I hope a 201K2 will turn up near me one day :- )

All this information can befound various places on the web. There are lots of blog posts and even a facebook page dedicated to this model.

Last edited by Mickey2; 06-01-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:04 PM

Thank you all for your help. It is a centennial and the serial number does match up with 1951. So Mickey was that after the changes? I am finding groups here in there that fancy the machine. I appreciate all the suggested links.
One thing I know I will need to replace is the foot peddle for sure. It is cracked on the bottom. This group helped me out so much when I first starting getting involved in working on vintage singers. I was warned it is a slippery slope. But so far one I am enjoying tremendously. I can't wait to get this little one cleaned up. Told hubby it would be my traveling sewing machine, like when we go camping or something. He looked at me like I was crazy! lol Well...maybe I am, but in a good way.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:07 PM

I have to look up the changes, I read it some where on the web, I shall have to come back to it. I'm sure someone here on The Quilting Board is all onto it, there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum. The vintage section here is a bit down at the moment due to a new forum Victorian Sweatshop.

There is blog called The Archaic and the Arcane, the owner uses and likes the Featherweight, and there are some very good posts both on the Featherweight and sewing machines in general. The fact that she fixes up any machine and actually uses the Featherweight has to be a plus ;- ) She has the best advice on how to service the button type bakelite pedal too. If it's cracked or chipped it probably needs replacing, but if it's the rubber feet only, there are new replacements available.

I think the Featherweight facebook page is commercially oriented, but there's generally a lot of helpful tips and videos along with all the things you can get for your Featherweight. The Vintage Singer Yahoo Group might be the best place for expert advice.

Last edited by Mickey2; 06-01-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:29 PM

Absolutely! You don't forget those burned fingers, been there and done that! Where did you get your LEDs?
Old 06-01-2016, 08:31 PM

Very good products for feather weight. Have ordered many times very satisfied with products and service