Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with envelope quilting please? >

Help with envelope quilting please?

Help with envelope quilting please?

Old 06-01-2016, 04:27 AM

Would it help to press the quilt before stitching or is that a no-no in this process?
Old 06-01-2016, 04:43 AM

I had an odd shaped (12 sided) wall hanging that I definitely didn't want to bind. When I birth a quilt I always could see the edge I hand sewed so I did this one differently. I split my backing down the middle and sewed it together from one edge to about 8" from the center; then I sewed it from the other edge to about 8" from the center leaving an 8" opening. I pressed the seam open, also pressing the unsewn area as part of the seam (I used a 1" seam allowance). Then sew the backing on and turn as usual but when you go to birth it you have a larger area to reach into all the corners to get perfect points. I then use a blind stitch to sew the rest of the seam on the back and then quilt. All edges are smooth, points are pointy, and I had no shifting or lumps.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:47 AM

Rather than the birthing technique, how about bringing just a bit of the backing to the front after you have completed your quilting? You would sew down the edge from the front.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:59 AM

I worked with a Project Linus group that requested this type of finishing so have done many. Someone mentioned making the back a bit smaller than the top which is a good thing to do. I would not suggest a poly batt. It will allow the pieces to shift if you are machine quilting and you will get puckering of the back. If you are tying the quilt then the batt won't matter quite so much. There can never be enough basting on this type of quilt and if machine quilting you will need to keep a lot of tension all around the working area. If it's the look of a binding that you don't want the I would suggest a facing rather than a binding. That way it won't show.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:37 AM

I have done many the same as Gail B and the basting spray works just fine to keep it together when birthing and quilting. Good luck.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:16 AM

I found that if I do a combination of reaching in and gently pulling the corners in and turning down the open end, it relieves the stress that can result in twisting the quilt. You are sort of birthing it from both ends - if that makes any sense!!!
Old 06-01-2016, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

I have done several baby quilts, approx. 54 x70 or there about with the birthing method, as I don't especially like binding, although I do on larger quilts. I would suggest that after turning the quilt RSO, I would carefully PRESS the quilt top, then pin baste with safety pins, this should eliminate bunching, creeping, etc. After quilting the top, I would sew 1/2" away from the sides, as this gives the impression of binding without that process. I tend to drive my best friend when I do quilts this way, but I have never mastered her method of pulling the backing over the quilt to make a binding either. I say go for it as I have had good luck with this method, as long as it's no larger than a lap size quilt.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:03 PM

Can you press the daylights out of the turned quilt, maybe starching heavily before, and then stitching about 1/4" inside the edge?
Old 06-01-2016, 04:37 PM

There was a time when I did a lot of them with the envelope method for charity quilts. If you layer the batting on the bottom, the backing next with right side up, then the top on top, with right sides together. You don't need to square-up the backing, just center the quilt top, and pin in place around the outside edges. Sew 1/2" seam all the way around, leaving about 10" open for turning. With the batting sewn in, you don't have to worry about the batting shifting. Clip the corners and turn right side out. If you wanted to reduce the bulk in the seam, you could "grade the seam allowance." Close the opening by hand or by machine. Top-stitch about 5/8" all the way around the outside edge before you tie or quilt. Top-stitching this far away gives the quilt a softer edge.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:58 PM

Thank you everyone... I am going to give it a try.