I have a ? & need a opinion

Old 06-01-2016, 04:57 PM

www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/needles/ will probably give you far more information on needles than you wanted. I buy unopened packs of needles in thrift stores whenever I find them, whether the name is singer, white, sears, kenmore, jc penney, etc. I have a box of 100 Singer needles made in Brazil, all size 90/14. So long as they are the standard type for the machine I am using, I don't bother with whether it says Singer or Kenmore, etc. I have ordered Organ needles on Ebay, seems they were referred to as Orange. Many times I open a box of vintage sewing machine accessories and will see a pkg. of Organ needles. I am aware that certain needles are best for certain tasks, such as for knits, sharps for quilting, etc. but as for information from Superior Thread, I figure they have a vested interest. When I buy from JoAnns, it is usually Schmetz jeans needles, but with my Thrift store finds, and ebay, there has not been a need for JA in a long time.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
You have been given misleading advice, or someone is thinking all wrong about it. Most models take standard domestic needles, which is needle system 705, 15x1 or 130, different numbers for the same needle. Some models take different needle systems, like 301, model 12, industrial machines, etc.

We often use the term "needle size" inter-changeably with both needle system and the thickness of the needle shaft. I suppose it's more correct to use "needle size" about the width or thickness of the needle. It's easily very confusing until you knw the difference. To make it even more so, there are various systems to indicate the size/width too: 70 is the same as #10, 80= #12, and 90= #14,.. The older cast iron models can take up to size 140/#22, which allows for a thicker thread.

Some brands are possibly better than others, but who ever the maker is should not matter: Schmetz, Klasse, Singer, Orgran willl work fine, even less common brands or generic needles should be fine. They should ge made to the same very accurate measurments.
What needle should I be using for my 301? I thought it just used the common 15x1.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl View Post
What needle should I be using for my 301? I thought it just used the common 15x1.
Sorry, mistake there, I was thinking of the swing needle 319 and 320, but even some of them have been set for 15x1 needles.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:57 AM

My DH just took a sewing machine repair class and the teacher said that Schmetz needles are the best. I now buy needles that say Quilting on them and they are doing the job. When I sew knits, I use the ball point needles. When I sew jeans, I buy needles for jeans. When I sew thick heavy fabrics, I use leather needles. I have a huge variety of needles and use them for whatever I am sewing.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:52 AM

I use an 80/12 Schmetz needle in my Featherweights. I bought a little box of 100 on Amazon for something like $33.
Have fun!
Ila
Old 06-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by iadhikari View Post
I use an 80/12 Schmetz needle in my Featherweights. I bought a little box of 100 on Amazon for something like $33.
Have fun!
Ila
I used Schmetz needles all my sewing life because they were available everywhere. I never had a bad new needle until about 6 years ago. I found out that Schmetz moved most of their production from Germany to India. Since then I've started buying Organ needles because they're cheaper and just as good, I've yet to get a bad one in a package. I pay about $12 per hundred needles.

Cari
I
Old 06-02-2016, 03:04 PM

All,of my sewing - except for my Singer 306 - use the standard type of needles - I use Schmetz, Inspiration, Klasse' - and I use size 75/11 which can be tricky to find. And I will not use the universal needle - I use jeans 75/11 - they are nice and sharp, and I also use sharp 75/11. Universal doesn't give a nice stitech (learned several years ago about that). The 75/11 us not hard to thread with my usual size 50/2 thread - and I can actually thread the needle without using the machine's threaded - it's my challenge (well, one of them) in life. Getting my cataracts fixed really did help, too����. by the way, the 306 uses a needle that I can only find online - along with the weird-sized bobbins - but I love her anyway.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 06-03-2016, 03:06 PM
Power Poster

You've been given lots of good info here. use Schmetz and Organ needles in my vintage machines and have no problems~
Old 06-10-2016, 10:11 PM

I use Schmetz,Organand Inspira brand needles in my Singer machines, never had them ruin a machine. I've had my Singer machines for the last 20 years, they're all between 70-100 years or older.
Sharon in Texas