Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Singer Quantum 9960, Do you own one??... >

Singer Quantum 9960, Do you own one??...

Singer Quantum 9960, Do you own one??...

Old 04-09-2015, 01:05 PM

Default Singer Quantum 9960, Do you own one??...

If so, is there anything you don't like about it??? And what do you like the best?? I'm getting a new machine this summer and have been checking this one out. Would love to hear your opinion.
Thanks,
Tammy D
Old 04-09-2015, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I went to patternreview.com and found 12 reviews for it:
http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/search.pl

You will probably need to create a login in order to read these reviews, but it is free. Note the dates on the reviews also; things can change, so reviews closer to today are generally a better bet than older reviews.

The same applies to reviews on Amazon. With Amazon, you need to read a little more carefully to exclude people who don't know how to use a sewing machine, people who have not used the machine enough to really form an opinion, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/9960-600-Stitc...dp/B004RDH7Y8/

I myself would probably not buy this machine unless I really liked it compared to others in a similar price category, simply because Singer has a bad reputation for its newer machines -- especially the lower price tier ones. I *hate* a machine that will not hold its tension, and my understanding is that this is a particular weakness in some Singers.

Edit: After reading a few of the one-star reviews on Amazon, it looks as if this machine may not hold up well to wear.

Last edited by Prism99; 04-09-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

I have the Singer 9240, one of the first Quantums made. The one made before the 2nd version of 9240. Only so many were made for the first version. I love it. I bought it before I started quilting as I was just sewing. The stitch is straight not angled like most of the decorative stitch machine. It has never given me on inkling of trouble, uses every type thread I have put on it. I found if I don't use Singer needles the auto thread won't work. The Singer needles are a tad different in length. I don't know about the later models but this one I have is an excellent machine. I have a Bernina, Brother, Janome and several vintage Singers and my Quantum has them all beat with perfect balanced stitches.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:18 PM

I have always heard good things about the quantums on several boards. I believe it is one of singer's best models with good reviews. If I was going to go singer at all, it would definitely be a quantum
Old 06-02-2016, 07:02 PM

There are 4 ladies in our sewing group who love their Singer 9960 Quantums. Thinking seriously of buying one, but I'd need to sell one of my Janomies first. Running out of room!
Old 06-02-2016, 08:13 PM

I bought one and won't trade it for anything. great machine. as far as I'm concerned all Singers have been great that I have and I have had quite a few, that I fixed up and gave to someone who needed an easy machine to learn to sew on.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:23 AM
Power Poster

They just don't make them like they use to. I bought a two Bernina in the 90s and I love the way they still sew.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:09 AM

It is built by SVP Holdings (Singer, VIking, Pfaff.) so there is a lot of trickle down engineering put into it. If you can swing the little difference in price give a serious look at the Quantum 9980 - 900 stitches - I know, who needs 900 stitches!- and a built in thread cutter and bobbin sensor. All the bells and whistles on that baby!