Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
pot luck ideas >

pot luck ideas

pot luck ideas

Old 03-17-2016, 09:03 PM

I try to gear the food to the season or the weather. Mains are easy as the great gals have listed cold weather I like to bring crock pot stroganoff with crusty french bread. Obviously, lots of salad side dishes. Good Luck.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:21 PM

I have served ravioli - got it at Costco and had it ready to go except for the sauce, put it in the crock pot added the sauce and had extra sauce on the side for the folks that liked a lot.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:31 AM

I've not tried this recipe, but am making it for my next pot luck, It's from apassionateplate.com

bk

Chicken Breast Marbella

Print

This recipe has been adapted from the original Chicken Marbella in The Silver Palate Cookbook. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts replace the skin-on, bone-in pieces, making this easier to eat at a party.
Author: A Passionate Plate
Serves: 12

Ingredients
  • 6 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
  • ½ cup red wine vinegar
  • ½ cup olive oil
  • 1 cup white wine
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup dried pitted prunes, cut in half
  • ½ cup dried apricots, cut in half
  • ½ cup pitted Spanish green olives
  • ½ cup capers and a little juice
  • 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
  • ⅛ cup dried oregano
  • ½ cup chopped fresh parsley

Instructions
  1. COOK THE CHICKEN:
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  3. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
  4. Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Spray the pan with a little olive oil non-stick spray (or brush lightly with olive oil) and place three of the chicken breasts in the pan. Cook the chicken until it begins to brown, about 2 minutes, then turn and lightly brown them on the other side.
  5. Remove chicken to a baking sheet lined with foil (the chicken will not be fully cooked at this point).
  6. Wipe out the pan if necessary, then repeat the browning process with the remaining three chicken breasts.
  7. Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake the chicken just until it is cooked through. (Test by cutting into a piece or using a meat thermometer - chicken should be 165 degrees). Be careful not to overcook the chicken or it will be dry. When the chicken is fully cooked, remove from the oven to cool.
  8. PREPARE THE MARINADE:
  9. In a large saucepan, combine the red wine vinegar, olive oil, white wine, brown sugar, prunes, dried apricots, Spanish olives, capers, garlic, and oregano. Heat the marinade to a boil and cook for one minute more. Stir in the parsley and remove from heat.
  10. SLICE THE CHICKEN & ADD THE MARINADE:
  11. Slice each chicken breast diagonally into thin strips. Place the chicken into a glass or ceramic casserole or other dish with sides, and pour the marinade over the chicken. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to two days.
  12. SERVE:
  13. Chicken Breast Marbella can be reheated before serving covered tightly with foil or a lid. Or, serve it cold or at room temperature.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:36 AM

Bkay - sounds Delish, but way too much work, extra purchases for me...

Onebyone - roast beef. Shred after cooking? How long cook? Have one in the freezer...may try this.......thanks
Old 06-05-2016, 12:24 PM

When at a re-treat with dinners involved.... divide the number of dinners by the amount of quilters. (example: 4 dinners, 8 quilters = 2 quilters to a group) each group decides on what they want to "MAKE" for ONE DINNER. Of course you need to pre-plan all this in advance to make sure you have all the ingredients you'll need, each night is accounted for.(no duplicates ??) Each night a different GROUP cooks dinner. We have done this for retreats, camping trip, family reunions, etc. The BEST part of all is that you have to cook (and clean up) only ONE MEAL for the entire retreat. Anything goes but crock pots are highly utilized. We had a girls only camping trip a few years ago. We were out for 4 nights. We had enough gals that breakfast was also cooked by different groups. Lunch was "bring your own" as we were usually out hiking somewhere at noon. When YOUR group dinner is over you just sit back and relax while the next group cooks.... easy peasy ! Of course there are lots of snacks, extra salads and desserts that show up. NO ONE has EVER gone hungry. One year we had a FRIENDLY competition between a few groups. OH MY ! We ate like royalty ! My group included my friend and me! We signed up for the last breakfast. Probably about 20 + gals on this trip... We had scrambled eggs, bacon, bagels with cream cheese and Fruit Soup(served with a dollop of cottage cheese on top!) which we made ahead of time and froze. It acted as ICE in the cooler and was perfectly thawed and chilled (after being in the cooler for 4 days) by the time it was eaten....clean up was a breeze, too ! Needless to say, there was NO FOOD left when clean up time came! Wash a few dishes and we were done! Off on another hike ! More hands make less work...... Happy Quilting !!
Old 06-08-2016, 10:52 AM

Recipe for the fruit soup, please
QUOTE=borntoquilt;7569573]When at a re-treat with dinners involved.... divide the number of dinners by the amount of quilters. (example: 4 dinners, 8 quilters = 2 quilters to a group) each group decides on what they want to "MAKE" for ONE DINNER. Of course you need to pre-plan all this in advance to make sure you have all the ingredients you'll need, each night is accounted for.(no duplicates ??) Each night a different GROUP cooks dinner. We have done this for retreats, camping trip, family reunions, etc. The BEST part of all is that you have to cook (and clean up) only ONE MEAL for the entire retreat. Anything goes but crock pots are highly utilized. We had a girls only camping trip a few years ago. We were out for 4 nights. We had enough gals that breakfast was also cooked by different groups. Lunch was "bring your own" as we were usually out hiking somewhere at noon. When YOUR group dinner is over you just sit back and relax while the next group cooks.... easy peasy ! Of course there are lots of snacks, extra salads and desserts that show up. NO ONE has EVER gone hungry. One year we had a FRIENDLY competition between a few groups. OH MY ! We ate like royalty ! My group included my friend and me! We signed up for the last breakfast. Probably about 20 + gals on this trip... We had scrambled eggs, bacon, bagels with cream cheese and Fruit Soup(served with a dollop of cottage cheese on top!) which we made ahead of time and froze. It acted as ICE in the cooler and was perfectly thawed and chilled (after being in the cooler for 4 days) by the time it was eaten....clean up was a breeze, too ! Needless to say, there was NO FOOD left when clean up time came! Wash a few dishes and we were done! Off on another hike ! More hands make less work...... Happy Quilting !![/QUOTE]
Old 06-08-2016, 10:52 AM

Oh, sounds so good
Old 06-08-2016, 10:56 AM

Two ideas.... I like chili with bowls of different toppings. Chicken Parmesan: buy already cooked and frozen breaded chicken breasts....bake in oven as directed. Remove, top with slices of mozzarella cheese and heated marinara sauce. Pass the parm cheese. Serve with salad and French bread. The cheese will melt without putting in oven.
Old 06-09-2016, 05:28 AM

Pete, would you be willing to share the Fruit Soup recipe?
Old 06-13-2016, 12:17 PM

mit150 and Texas Sunshine, I piggy-backed on your suggestions and came up with something using an old recipe I have for Chicken Spaghetti. It's not the usual spaghetti that we think of. It's more like The Pioneer Woman's recipe except for a few items. I used penne pasta, and combined ingredients to make it more of a tex-mex dish. I used sliced smoked sausage instead of chicken. Was delicious and made a bunch! I kept some for DH's lunch and brought the rest to a funeral at one o'clock. Recipe will follow as soon as I write it as I made it.{{wink}}

Last edited by GailG; 06-13-2016 at 12:21 PM.