Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Bird Watchers Please Help Me Identify this little guy. >

Bird Watchers Please Help Me Identify this little guy.

Bird Watchers Please Help Me Identify this little guy.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:23 AM

Phoebe.They like the same spot and do their hawking.(looking for insects)
Old 06-06-2016, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by cuttinghorse View Post
That may be an eastern phoebe
Looks and sounds like a PHOEBE to me too
Old 06-06-2016, 11:13 AM

This is definitely a Flycatcher. It could be an Eastern Phoebe. The Alder Flycatcher also looks similar. There are many varieties of Flycatchers. The thing I like the most about them is their aerial acrocabtics display when they catch insects. They are one of our first birds here in the spring (I am in the mountains of NH) and then they leave before most of the other birds do. They nest in the eaves of my house each year. If your photos show two different birds, you may be seeing a male and a female, or an adult and an immature adult.

For anyone with a Kindle or Google Play, you should download the Audubon's Society: Birds of North America. It's free. The app has bidsongs and photos and a lot of great information.

Also, I just recently got a pair of Vortex Diamondback 8 x 42 roof prism binoculars just for birdwatching. I highly recommend them. They have a lifetime, no questions asked, warranty. And the quality is amazing and the view is bright, crisp, and beautiful.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:46 PM

Also, I just recently got a pair of Vortex Diamondback 8 x 42 roof prism binoculars just for birdwatching. I highly recommend them. They have a lifetime, no questions asked, warranty. And the quality is amazing and the view is bright, crisp, and beautiful.[/QUOTE]

Would love to have something like that. Where did you buy them?
Old 06-06-2016, 01:30 PM

tapper, I got them from Amazon. I researched binoculars carefully and these were my choice. The warranty really sold me. I love companies who put their customers first. I had it narrowed down to a pair of Nikons and these. It gives me peace of mind to know that if anything happens to them, the company will replace or repair them. This is especially important when dealing with lenses. Nikon is a really good name, but their warranty can't compare.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
tapper, I got them from Amazon. I researched binoculars carefully and these were my choice. The warranty really sold me. I love companies who put their customers first. I had it narrowed down to a pair of Nikons and these. It gives me peace of mind to know that if anything happens to them, the company will replace or repair them. This is especially important when dealing with lenses. Nikon is a really good name, but their warranty can't compare.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I will check them out. My husband has an Nikon camera...mine is a Canon but a very old one. I dropped it last summer and now the lens won't open..warranty no longer valid. I am shopping for a new camera.
Happy birdwatching!
Old 06-06-2016, 11:18 PM

I use to attend several "Becoming An Outdoors Woman" workshops through our Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept, a nation wide program at the time. Birdwatching was one of the classes offered. In identifying a bird, we were told to look first at the beak, as beak disignate the family of a certain specie. Example, conical beaks, Finch family, which includes Cardinals, House Finches, American Goldfinch, Lessar's Goldfinch, etc. First glance at this top bird said Flycatcher family.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:55 AM
Evy

Thank you all so much. We love watching these guys and now that we know what kind of bird it makes them seem like friends. Just yesterday we had a very long (hubby guessed 5 feet ) black snake making its way toward the nest and since we don't kill the black snakes a bit of a spray with the garden hose sent him off the deck and into the woods. I know snakes have to eat too, but not my baby birds! Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by cuttinghorse View Post
That may be an eastern phoebe
Thats what it look/sounds like.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:31 AM

A neat little eastern phoebe! Do an internet search for their song. Their name is their song. It sounds like they are saying, "phoebe."

SewingSew, thanks for the information on the binoculars. I will have to check them out.