Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Bird Watchers Please Help Me Identify this little guy. >

Bird Watchers Please Help Me Identify this little guy.

Bird Watchers Please Help Me Identify this little guy.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:22 AM

That is an Eastern Flycatcher, he is a tail-bobber and a monster who keeps any other bug catching bird out of his territory forever. You can take down his nest as many times as you want until you give up and he has his territory. No Carolina wrens, no bluebirds, no bird that catches bugs will be allowed in his area. I hate him! I did battle with him for three years and he won. I had Carolina Wrens, that sing like choir angels, try to use a bird house in the same area and he ran them off, he patrols around the whole perimeter here. Just my not-so-humble opinion of the Eastern Flycatcher.
PS, this bird does not say "Phoebe", he has a four-note song it is one note and one note up, one note and one note down.

Last edited by Yooper32; 06-07-2016 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:55 AM

Look's like. a phoebe to me.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:32 AM

It's a flycatcher.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:26 AM

Evy, can you tell us where you live so we can know the range of the bird? And Yooper, why does this photo not say Eastern Phoebe? For those interestesed, an Eastern Phoebe is from the Tyrant Flycatcher family.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:52 PM

Where I lived, the chickadees in the spring sang "Phoebe", while the phoebes sounded like "Fib-reeeeee". Not as melodious as the chickadee.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Fly catcher.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:24 PM

I WONDEr if maybe he is a junco . Check in the bird alamanac.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:56 PM

Yes again to the phoebe! I have several that nest in our yard every year here in NY. If you listen closely to their call you will hear it saying pheeee---be!
Old 06-07-2016, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Yooper32 View Post
That is an Eastern Flycatcher, he is a tail-bobber and a monster who keeps any other bug catching bird out of his territory forever. You can take down his nest as many times as you want until you give up and he has his territory. No Carolina wrens, no bluebirds, no bird that catches bugs will be allowed in his area. I hate him! I did battle with him for three years and he won. I had Carolina Wrens, that sing like choir angels, try to use a bird house in the same area and he ran them off, he patrols around the whole perimeter here. Just my not-so-humble opinion of the Eastern Flycatcher.
PS, this bird does not say "Phoebe", he has a four-note song it is one note and one note up, one note and one note down.
I do not have the same experience at all with the Phoebes in my yard. I always have bluebirds, wrens, robins, chickadees, goldfinches and swallows nesting along with the Phoebes. They seem to say phoebe to me, but yes, they do have an accent and the chickadees say it much more clearly.

PS: Just a note to all concerned; all songbirds are protected and it is illegal to destroy or remove their nests intentionally.

Last edited by wildyard; 06-07-2016 at 08:04 PM. Reason: to add PS
Old 06-08-2016, 03:25 AM
Evy

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
Evy, can you tell us where you live so we can know the range of the bird? And Yooper, why does this photo not say Eastern Phoebe? For those interestesed, an Eastern Phoebe is from the Tyrant Flycatcher family.
I'm in Southeastern KY, about 80 miles east of Lexington. We are up high and surrounded by trees. I have learned a lot from all the replies to this and I have to say I cannot imagine discouraging these pretty little birds. Can't see any downside to having birds around!