Ventless Clothes Dryer

Old 06-10-2016, 03:51 PM

Default Ventless Clothes Dryer

Has anyone lived with a ventless clothes dryer? My laundry area is in the middle of my house and the venting we have used is causing problems, may have hastened the destruction of my old dryer, and is probably dangerous. I can buy a dryer designed not to vent to the outdoors, but I wonder to what extent it will heat up my house. I live in Texas and it will be plenty warm on its own. It should condense the moisture from the clothes and drain it away. I hope it is a small enough hose to go into the same pipe my washer drains into. I would love to have any information you might have. I have found a sale of over half off one of these normally very pricey dryers. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:57 PM

I am sure good instructions will come with the dryer. Since it is not pulling air to be heated there should be no moisture to worry about. Enjoy your new dryer.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:03 PM

I never knew that they made them and would love to know how they work

a dryer produces both heat and humidity which are normally vented to the outside

I assume a vent less version vents heat and humidity into the house

if I does beware of excess heat and mold growth
Old 06-10-2016, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by scorpius View Post
I never knew that they made them and would love to know how they work

a dryer produces both heat and humidity which are normally vented to the outside

I assume a vent less version vents heat and humidity into the house

if I does beware of excess heat and mold growth
I wonder about that, too, scorpion. I live in Texas also and the last thing you need here is more heat and humidity in the house in the summer.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:50 AM

We use them a lot here in UK. My utility room is in the centre of my house no windows. If I use tumble drier and close the door (for the noise) the room does get a bit humid. But if I leave the door open there is no problem at all and it doesn't make the rest of the house warm. Wish it did would save my heating bills.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:20 AM

If there is the slightest chance of lint, DO NOT CONNECT TO WASHER PIPE.....IT WILL CLOG.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:31 AM

I was wondering about lint too. Can you get one of those booster fans that attaches to your vent pipe to help. Our son had one installed on theirs and says it works great. Their dryer is vented through the attic, same as ours.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:59 AM

http://laundry.reviewed.com/features...entless-dryers - Here are some reviews, not specific dryers but ventless in general.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:26 AM

I am lucky I can dry my clothes on the clothes line about 6 months of the year. In the winter, I only put sheets and towels through the dryer, I hang everything else up in my laundry room.

When I first saw ventless dryer, all I could think is humidity, but then I realized that I am adding to the humidity in my home by hanging clothes to dry inside, but not increasing the heat. I do not have humidity issues, so it is not a problem.

Then I realized that my cousin in NZ has a dryer that does not vent outside, but it does vent through the door into the room. It is not an issue for her as her laundry is in a separate wash house, not attached the her home. Plus all my family in NZ use their clothes lines almost exclusively, electricity is expensive.

It is interesting how laundry facilities vary around the world. When I think about my NZ family all but one have their laundry/wash house either outside in another building, or built onto the exterior of their house. When my Kiwi Grandmother moved to Canada and eventually built a house, she did the same thing, she put her laundry in an enclosed porch. Luckily we are in a part of Canada where it does not get too cold and we do not have to worry about frozen pipes.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:42 AM

Thank you guys for your input. Tothill, our area averages over 60 inches of rain a year and the expected hi next week is 94 degrees. It is not fun to manage an outside clothesline. I have a baby sister born in the early 60's. I remember running madly out to retrieve diapers from the line when we would have a cloudburst. Lol. But since my old dryer broke I have discovered ways to limp along using a box fan and a drying rack in my hall. Drying in the fresh air is a nice idea, but not one I think I want to live with.

AZ Jane I really appreciate the link. I have invested a bunch of time reading the installation instructions and operation manuals online to try to figure out what might work, but had not discovered this link. Misty's Mom I did discover the idea of a fan in the vent to improve its functioning. There also exists a long vent dryer that is designed allow up to 160 feet of vent. I never found how it worked that is different from a standard dryer. The thing that has helped me decide to try the Heat Pump Ventless dryer is a sale. My Sears sales lady found a competitor's ad online that makes the dryer less than half the regular price when she matches the advertised price. I don't want to miss this chance and then discover that I cannot make the venting work out. This sale makes the dryer much more comparable in price to a unit with standard venting. The new dryer is 7.4 cubic feet so is not compact. I would like to streamline my laundry effort to get to my sewing. Even the predicted longer drying time might be tolerable as long as it does not overheat the house. I plan to order it and give it a try. The dryer I am replacing is 38 yrs old and event with some repair costs has served us well. But nearly everything seems to have broken- probably partly due to deteriorating venting . Thanks again.