Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good basic sewing machine for beginner quilter? >

Good basic sewing machine for beginner quilter?

Good basic sewing machine for beginner quilter?

Old 06-13-2016, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

The only other machine I have used besides my bernina's was a janome quilter's model. Sorry I can't remember the name of the model. Low cost and had many feet with it related to quilting. It was a very nice machine and buying the extra accessory feet was so inexpensive I was able to buy them all for a song compared to the bernina feet. It worked really well and there was no oiling. All that was sealed in a compartment. I just could not get used to it since I had always worked with a bernina. I am sure you understand. I sold it here on the board and the lady was very happy with it. It was within her range with all of the feet!
Old 06-13-2016, 08:40 AM

Do you have any local dealers? If she is willing to spend up to $500.00 she may be able to get a fantastic machine someone traded in. Some dealers will get a limited warranty on such machines. (Mine gives 90 days.) They also sell demo machines with a good discount.

My sister bought her Brother machine at Costco many years ago, it game with the extended table and loves it. It was called a quilting machine it was on sale and about $200.00. She said the working directions were easy to follow. She took a class but that was to learn how to make t-shirts. I gave her a little featherweight to take to classes, but at home she is still using her Brother.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:19 AM

I picked up the Brother XR3140 for a couple hundred. It comes with a table insert, a number of feet. Its a great little machine that is light enough take to classes but strong enough to sew thru a number of layers of fabrics. I bought it just to do my long borders and bindings for my quilts. I set it up at one end of my cutting table so I could lay the large quilt on the table without having it hang over the side. Its a great little machine in my book. Plus my Babylock embroidery machine uses the same feet and bobbins so I can interchange them if necessary.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:57 AM

I am fascinated by the comments about the features and feet needed to quilt in the above comments. My old 830 uses one foot (1) and I have never taken the zigzag lever out of straight. The only other foot I have used is the walking foot for doing long quilting lines and bindings.
As far as I can tell, you use a simple zigzag for applique work and straight for everything else. And I don't do applique.
So for a first machine, a 1970s Bernina 830 that has been gone over by a Bernina repair expert, with the extended table. It will last forever, mine I have abused for 10 years now and it just keeps on ticking. It is strong enough to actually quilt tops, you can roll a whole lot of quilt into it (I've quilted queen size quilts with it), and as others have said, Bernina stitches are beautiful. No, it does not self thread and no, it does not stop needle down (except when it feels like it). Small price to pay for a tremendous first (and in my case) last machine. tim in san jose
Old 06-13-2016, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

I always recommend a nice, inexpensive ($139-$179) Brother from Walmart. User friendly, have speed control and features that come in handy, plenty of stitches to play with and will hold up for years giving your friend time to decide if she will continue sewing and wants to upgrade. ( I've had plenty of friends who lost interest 2-3 years down the road & were happy to not have an expensive machine taking up space. ) one of my aunts spent $500+ on a Janome, made one quilt, hemmed 3 pairs of pants & never used it again-- it sat in the corner for over 10 years until she passed away & I inherited it. There is no reason to spend big bucks until you are ready to make an upgrade, know you will get the use out of it.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by jillmc View Post
A good friend of mine has been bitten by the quilting bug-yay! She wants me to go machine shopping with her-she has been using her daughter's Singer, but after sewing on my Bernina, she would like to get something a little more functional than what she has been using. Her budget is $500. Reading reviews online, Brothers seem to be popular...any suggestions on specific models, or other brands? I watched a YouTube video review of a basic Janome, and to be honest, it didn't look like it had the features I think are necessary-needle down being one. Thank you!
Brother PC-420 is a popular model
Old 06-13-2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I always recommend a nice, inexpensive ($139-$179) Brother from Walmart. User friendly, have speed control and features that come in handy, plenty of stitches to play with and will hold up for years giving your friend time to decide if she will continue sewing and wants to upgrade. ( I've had plenty of friends who lost interest 2-3 years down the road & were happy to not have an expensive machine taking up space. ) one of my aunts spent $500+ on a Janome, made one quilt, hemmed 3 pairs of pants & never used it again-- it sat in the corner for over 10 years until she passed away & I inherited it. There is no reason to spend big bucks until you are ready to make an upgrade, know you will get the use out of it.
This is also good advice. My Walmart brother is a little workhorse.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
For a beginner, I don't think needle down is that important. I rarely use that option on my Bernina.
Needle down is one of my favorites. That being said, I agree that it isn't a have-to-have for a beginner.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:32 AM

I have a Bernina 440-they do not loose their value nearly as much as some of the less expensive ones. I purchased a Janome 6600 last year with a lot more features for a lot less money and have been satisfied with it. I mostly quilt on it.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:46 AM

I love my Janome 7318. I bought it as a beginner machine but truly, it's been fabulous for me. I have made 10 quilts, all pieced and quilted on it (SID and FMQ) and I still love it. It was only $250 when I purchased it, and came with lots of accessories. It doesn't have the needle down, but I wasn't willing to spend $100 more just to get it. I like that it's not computerized, since I wanted to learn on a mechanical machine first. Figured it was less electronic parts to break. It has 6.5in from the needle to the base and I've quilted up to a 108" quilt on it.

Friend of mine has the Brother CS6000i which is currently going for $150 on Amazon. Comes with extended table, walking foot, hopping foot for fmq, and other accessories. Also has needle down. And 6000 reviews and it's still 4.5 stars. Just depends on what she's looking for