Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Vacuum cleaner recommendations please >

Vacuum cleaner recommendations please

Vacuum cleaner recommendations please

Old 06-17-2016, 12:55 PM

I have an inexpensive Bissell from Walmart, and until recently I had a Malamute "hair dispenser" and it took all the hair off my carpets. My carpets are cranberry/raspberry colored so if it did not, I would see the hair. The "Red Devil" I owned when I got the Malamute burned up within three months of acquiring the dog. I also found out it was much cheaper to buy the bags straight from Bissell on line.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:10 PM

We have a Shark Navigator Lift Away Pro to go along with our two dogs and two cats! We really wanted a Miele but the sticker shock on that made it a no go. A lot of people do not know that having a Dyson may void any warranty that you have with your carpet manufacturer.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

I have a Hoover windtunnel and it picked up cat hair just fine.

I did use a wire brush to pick up the threads before I vacuumed, though.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:00 PM

I love my Shark Navigator Lift Away Pro. This is my second Shark. I bought the first one which is a little smaller and lighter to use in our motorhome. It was amazing the amount of "stuff" it picked up. So much so that I brought it in the house and used it instead of the Dyson I had purchased a couple of years ago. Then decided to get a bigger model, the Navigator Pro, to use in the house. It has an attachment for cleaning wood floors that is great. Plus a pet hair attachment to use on furniture. I've never had a vacuum that works as well as either of these Sharks. The first one a bought at Walmart for about 150. The second one came from Bed Bath and Beyond, used a 20% off coupon there. It was a little more expensive, maybe 240. As you will see, everybody has their favorite for various reasons. Just wanted to add that I have a very busy household, including two dogs, two grandsons, 19 and 20 and a very messy husband, visiting young grandkids and someone who sews a lot and drags thread and lint all over and really doesn't like to spend time cleaning! So I sure want great results when I do!

Last edited by suern3; 06-17-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

I never found a vacuum that worked great to remove pet hair and my dog sheds a lot. I tried them all, borrowed different brands from my friends and family. I found the solution though, I got rid of the carpet. LOL. Now a simple dust mop will pick up all the pet hair on the smooth floors.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:22 PM

I bought an older Rainbow from an auction and I love it not only because its light, but it picks up hair and sand like nobodies business! I have several dogs and cats, but it's the dog hair that gets in the carpet.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:49 AM

Default vacuums

Originally Posted by JT View Post
Shark vacuums are just as good if not better than Dyson. I've had Filter Queen and Kirby and the Shark blows them away. Reasonably priced. Buy direct from Shark @ Shark.com. Not affiliated, just love them.

I agree. As a former Dyson owner I would not pay the $ they want for a Dyson (lasted only 6 years). The Shark is just as good if not better and they re all just plastic anyhow. I have two Miele's and wish I had bought a Shark. My housekeeper loves them also.
Old 06-18-2016, 03:40 AM

I would take your Dyson in to be checked, Dyson is fabulous. I loved Kirby and used it for years and years, but I really hated taking it apart to use the other attachments.
Old 06-18-2016, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
I bought an older Rainbow from an auction and I love it not only because its light, but it picks up hair and sand like nobodies business! I have several dogs and cats, but it's the dog hair that gets in the carpet.
We have a Rainbow, too. Ours deposits the dirt into water and when we dump the water, we are amazed with the gunk it picks up. It was expensive, initially, but we've used it 18 years. Still works fine and no repairs. It also has a hose in case you need to extract water from your carpets. Never used that, but it was a package deal.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:39 AM

Shark is the top of my list. Couldn't believe the difference from previous Kirby & Hoover.