Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilters under the age of 40?? >

Quilters under the age of 40??

Quilters under the age of 40??

Old 01-27-2010, 08:07 PM

I'm 57 and have been quilting over 20 years, sewing since forever. Currently teaching my niece she's 21 and on her fourth quilt in a year.
I have a picture of my grand daughter when she was about 10 months old and living with us sitting on my lap while sewing at the machine :)
Old 01-27-2010, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chrys
I'm 34 with young children (7 and 5). Went to the international quilt show yesterday and really felt like the youngest person there.
I have gone to a few quilt and craft shows, and while i love getting ideas and looking around..particularly during fair time, I often feel out of place...because all I see is grandmothers. I try to make comments that are really positive and look engulfed ( i am anyway but i am told i get a lost look on my face) so they can feel extra proud of their work...and of course, I make mention of how inspiring and helpful it is to see experienced work. I think it makes them feel good.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 PM

I'M proud to say i'm 46 an turning 47 in july wee did those yrs go
Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 PM

I'm 33. I took up quilting when I was 20, but got frustrated using my machine until I got a new one this Christmas. So I'm back into it full swing. Sewing in general puts my mind in a good place, so I don't care what the nay sayers say! I suffer from chronic hip and back pain, and can't sit for too long, but I treasure the time I do get. I'm learning so much lately, especially from this board, thank you all for your contributions. I don't care how old any of you are lol I'll always be a kid at heart.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:59 PM

I am weeks away from 30..and not loving it! I don't care who says what is the new what, I just plain old don't like the sound of it! I have only started quilting this last year, and I LOVE it. Like, truly addicted. I have a 7 and a 2 year old, so its usually at night. My sis is on here to, and it soon to be 27...mooohahahaha Deedles....but wow are we in good company and so much to learn here!!
Anyone else in the Mpls area?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:49 PM

I just went " over the hill"of 60 last week so I guess I can be considered one of those older ladies who quilts. I've been sewing, crocheting afghans & misc. other things since my late teens. I feel too that age means nothing in the quilting world. In my sit & sew group & our quilt guild they are all ages not any really young ones but I enjoy all of them. I figure if they're of the "older" generation lol that they just might be able to teach me something. I'm going on my third quilt retreat this weekend with pretty much the same group & we really have a good time. Some of the "older" ones never even go to bed!
My body may feel like 60 most mornings but my mind is still very young & hope to keep it that way.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:56 PM

I'm 48, but I have a 5yo, so does that make me younger?
I know of someone younger who quilts.... and quite a few older. I was thinking that quilting is becoming a "younger" craft, but maybe I'm only thinking that because I'm now doing it and I can't be "old"..... :lol:
Old 01-28-2010, 01:25 AM

TO ALL YOUR ONLY AS OLD AS YOU FEEL AN IF YOU FEEL 15 AN ARE 60 SO BE IT.I JUST KNOW HERE LATELY TIME IS FLYING BY.I'M A GRANDMA OF THE TWO IN THE PICTURE 5YRS AN 10 MONTHS.AN MY BABY WHO AIN'T SO LITTLE IS GETTING MARRIED IN MARCH.HE'S ONLY 22 YRS OLD RIGHT NOW AN WILL ALWAYS BE MY BABY FOR THE FIGHT I HAD TO KEEP HIM ALIVE.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:31 AM

I am 39 but quickly approaching the Big 4-0! I'm looking forward to it actually. I only started quilting in September and I'm loving it. I'm doing a course and we just finished our 8th lesson. We're to the point now of marking up our quilt tops for hand quilting. Hand quilting! I thought it was going to be machine quilted!

While I'm a relative newbie to quilting, I've been cross stitching since I was 20, even doing professional stitching for designers. I can remember my grandmother teaching me to embroider when I was about 7 or 8, but I never really took to that. I can remember knitting and crocheting when I was little too; man, those stitches on the needles were so tight I don't know how I managed to get them off!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:52 AM

YA THEM STITCHES ON THEM CROCHET NEEDLES CAN GET TIGHT .I still do some of it I have a rug I want to do for my bathroomthat is in my bedroom.hunter green single crochet going to take me forever when i get it started.