Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do? >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old 06-23-2016, 12:39 PM
Power Poster

If you have to send it out to be quilted, I would ask the quilter to do the cheapest quilting possible.
My Sis in law is always telling me what kind of quilt she wants me to make for her. Never offers any money, I have lots and lots of fabrics but she wants this and that and I don't have it and not about to go buy it.
She has several quilts and a comforter from me. We just think she is a collector.
When I make a quilt for someone it is my fabrics, my pattern, I don't mind what colors, as long as I already have them.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:50 PM

I have made many quilts for family members and friends but by my own choice. Guess I am lucky to be related to people who are well mannered and know when to say thank you and not request for others. If put in that position I would either ignore the request or just say no.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I would have told her that I would add her name to the list of people who want a quilt, but it's a long list. Or tell her that you can't really afford to make a quilt for everyone who wants one, so if she would like to pay for the quilting and supplies it will be $X. I would not send a bill to anyone who is not expecting one.
Good answer!
Old 06-23-2016, 01:19 PM

I would have told her that I would add her name to the list of people who want a quilt, but it's a long list. Or tell her that you can't really afford to make a quilt for everyone who wants one, so if she would like to pay for the quilting and supplies it will be $X. I would not send a bill to anyone who is not expecting one.
I agree with Dunster. I have made numerous quilts for my family which is a large one and I am always surprised when someone tells me they would like to have one. I remember Kaye Woods said in a class years ago to only make quilts for people who know and appreciate the time and money that goes into making a quilt and give everyone else a quilted panel.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:43 PM

I usually say I have too long a list to make any more but, if she wants to send me a yard of fabric to give me an idea of the colors she likes then I will see what I can do. I also add in it takes about 12 yards to make a quilt. To date, I have never received a yard of fabric. But lots of people hint at wanting quilts. They can hint away.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:18 PM

Well said Michellesews. Oh the regrets we all carry gets heavy at times. I also would do the right thing (in my heart) and finish it and send it on and hope for a genuine Thank-You and hope for a better relationship in the future.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:22 PM

I think it is too late to mention anything about money. You might consider contacting her and telling her the quilt is done and was she going to be traveling in your direction or had family member going across country that could deliver the quilt otherwise you will mail it when you have the extra money and then wait a month or 2 before you mail it. I admire you for making the quilt you are truely an angel. Just be prepared if other family members ask for one to discuss costs and say this one was a effort between you and your niece. That way they will think niece helped pay for it but in truth the effort was picking pattern.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:23 PM

I agree completely.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by joyce blint View Post
If you decide to complete and send it I have 2 suggestions: 1) You should use the appropriate PERMANENT marker and label it directly on the quilt backing. Made for xxxx, date, made by yyyy. This will make it less likely to be sold or donated by her. Then you could say that for insurance purposes you were adding an approximate list of the cost of making it. Maybe she'd get the idea, maybe not.
Great ideas!
Old 06-23-2016, 09:37 PM

I'm always amazed that we have such a hard time saying "no"! Although I recently got myself into situation where my own sis was wanting me to make several quilts--actually finish up the piecing and then do the quilting. I don't mind the quilting-on my own timetable--as I LA for others and will do family's free of charge (within reason) but was particularly bogged down and really was not going to get all the piecing to finish the projects she had started (done the handwork on embroidery and appliques)in time frame she was wanting. So she tried to guilt me a little, but then decided to finish the piecing herself--glad I made it clear it wasn't getting done by me in time she wanted as it has nipped her trying to do this again! But I do think we all need to be able to think of ourselves and decide if we want to do something for others and what it will be--sounds like the OP was really doing this for her niece. I'd probably finish the quilt and then hold until Christmas and send as a Christmas gift--maybe the recipient would at least get a return gift!