Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Does anyone sew standing up? >

Does anyone sew standing up?

Does anyone sew standing up?

Old 06-27-2016, 04:31 AM

Wesing, the 365 Challenge is what I'm doing on the corner of my cutting table. It's so handy, I can just reach over the acrylic surround of my machine to my cutting board or, from the other side of the table, lay all my pinned sections right onto the machine table without having to take a step.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:03 AM

I sometimes treadle quilt while standing. Usually when its just a short seam or two and I need to go back and forth to the cutting/design table.
Old 06-27-2016, 05:28 AM

I do both, I sit while sewing blocks, and stand while FMQ.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:03 AM
Power Poster

A couple times when I had my workbench and now part of it, I used it a couple times to sew standing up and I liked it. I put the foot pedal on a small stool I have that has non skid top. was not a problem. Couple seamstresses I know sew standing up because they can't find a comfortable enough chair. One has an old chair stool from back in the 60s and 70s. She uses that. ANother's husband made a pulpit like foot stool (slight incline) for the power pedal.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:19 AM

I have an extra sewing machine set up at one end of my large cutting table just for when I go to add my long borders/sashing and bindings. This keeps the weight of the quilt onto the cutting table and not hanging over the side fighting me. I stand when I use this machine. For awhile I was enjoying this machine so much I was using it for piecing too but have gone back to my trusty Viking Designer1 as I just acquired the extension table for it. My extra machine came with the extension table and I was enjoying the extra area while sewing. Problem with the Viking is that now its basically too high to sew comfortably and I can't cut the table its sitting on due to the type of folding table with drawers that it is.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:27 AM

If sewing while standing is anything like using a LA to quilt I can't do it. Even if my hips didn't give me problems I found it too clumsy for me. And felt out of my comfort zone to be in control of the speed and proximity to where my hands would be while the machine was running.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:36 AM

I have never tried standing while using my dsm. Sometimes on a difficult seam or whatever, I really need to get my eyes right there to makes sure that stitch goes in the right place and I would think that standing would really make that hard, but never having tried it, I may be wrong. Never really thinking about it until now, I sort of rest my wrists on edge of table when sewing a long seam......it just never entered my mind to stand. But, I do have a L/A and stand there, but that's because the machine is moving over that stationary fabric and I'm the guide....(not computerized), what is that ergonomic rule about elbow bent at 90 degrees, is correct height of table work while sitting.....????
Old 06-28-2016, 10:53 AM

The position you use for sewing is really a personal comfort issue since we seam to get in grossed and spend hours doing the same repetitive work. I used to have a table and 2 desks that fit together so perfect for quilting (I wish I still had them but that was a few moves ago and available space was much reduced. I now use a office chair that is made for higher counters with a foot rest. Being able to very your activity by sitting and standing would be most beneficial. I can't think of his name the gentle man that makes the unusual rotary cutters also makes an adjustable sewing table that can be used sitting or standing. Looked to me like the perfect table for a small sewing room.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:30 PM
Power Poster

I have a countertop on base cabinets in my sewing room and have thought of trying to stand. I haven't tried it yet.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:50 PM

When my DD comes to sew and uses my good DSM, I'll pull out the travel machine and set on cutting table--much more comfortable than at the other desk that sets me too low. Standing is very comfortable if you have a table high enough. When my guild does a kids class we find that the littler kids like to stand and don't find using the foot pedal a problem at all. Also, I've heard that at some sewing factories that there is option to stand as less hard on back (but not legs!