Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What made you get the "itch" for quilting? >

What made you get the "itch" for quilting?

What made you get the "itch" for quilting?

Old 01-28-2010, 03:00 AM

Thank you Sharon. Every story here is inspiring and touching. To create a beautiful quilt out of small pieces of fabric is a wonderful outlet for those of us here and connects each of us to each other in a time we may never have met under any other circumstances. I truly enjoy and value the friendships and kindnesses of the people on this site. You are all very special.

My Thanksgiving Quilt in memory of My Mom 2006
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67030[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-67025.jpe
Views:	47
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	67030  
Old 01-28-2010, 06:01 AM

My sewing life has had many chapters and I find a new challenge adds interest to that hobby. I started sewing when my mother gave me a stamped cross stitched pattern for a squirrel on a doll bunting. I kept running out of brown floss so that squirrel was multi-colored brown by the time I finished. I made my first quilt in the late 1960's and dreamed over the years that I might have time for more quilting. I'm there. I joined a church quilting group and a guild so am learning lots and immensely enjoying making quilted projects for charity and for my friends and family.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 AM

I had taught myself to make clothing for kids and myself early in my married life, and was an avid watcher of Nancy Zieman, then right after her show was "Simply Quilts"! Loved it, and almost started immediately with quilting only. Haven't stopped quilting since!
Old 01-28-2010, 06:15 AM

Hi Sharon - NC from another Sharon in NC.

My quilting urge began with necessity. I needed baby gifts, warmth for my baby, and my own bed. I grew up using heavy heavy quilts that one of my father's sisters made. Loved those things and Aunt Murlie used any clothing garment that was warm, worn, and no section was to small to go in her quilts.

After my heart attack in '01 I was no longer working a full time job and branched out to actual piecing of quilt blocks instead of just squares for the quilts. Now the bug(you know how many we have here in NC) just keeps biting me to try new and different color combos/block patterns.

Hugs
Old 01-28-2010, 06:39 AM

For me it was when my Mom passed away of Breast Cancer in June of 2004. We were going thru her sewing stuff and found all kinds of UFO's. I wanted to learn how to quilt to finish whatever quilt that I ended up with. Then I was at our local travel agent booking a trip to Ireland and the travel agent was teaching quilt classes. So when I got back from Ireland, I went to the quilting class and made the Irish Chain quilt. Needless to say that was only about 3 years ago and I have not quit yet. I have not finished the quilt that I ended up with yet but I will when I am ready.....The funny thing about it is that my Mom was obsessed with fabrics and we sold tons and I mean tons of fabrics at a household sale. I only took a few fabrics, not knowing that I would end of sewing someday..... My Mom is in heaven beaming with pride that I am continuing her obession.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:02 AM

JanetM, you could be my twin, you and I started about the same and for the same reasons I wish I could sew. I took home ec in HS too. I could just follow your post,except a lady I didn't even know sent me some strips to make a log cabin. From there hooked.

I love to sew now, but just don't know how. A friend is trying to teach me but I don't think she is having any luck. lol.

Thats my story and I am sticking to it.

Rita
Old 01-28-2010, 07:05 AM

My friend Sue made a flannel rag quilt and I wanted to make one for my mom. She was in a wheel chair and I made it to fit her lap, cover her legs and not get caught in her wheels. She LOVED that quilt. She was buried several years later with that quilt. It is the only quilt I never put my name on or took a picture of.
Maxine
Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 AM

My inspiration was the impending birth of my twin grandchildren four years ago. I wanted to leave something of myself to them and not being able to knit or crochet very well I always loved to sew I decided to take a class and make them both quilts. I ended up doing the whole nursery for my daughter in a jungle theme with the curtains, dust ruffle, bumper, memory board, quilt and pillow it came out great. Also it was a life saver when my son was in Iraq for a year. So four grandchildren later and many, many quilts for weddings and births of friends children I just love to quilt.
Ann Marie
Old 01-28-2010, 07:14 AM

I was flicking through the tv channels one day and saw Alex Anderson's show on HGTV. I thought, I can do this! I knew how to use a sewing machine, and have taught myself through TV, books and videos. I am a frustrated artist...I can't draw or paint or creat anything else...so quilting is my creative outlet.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:17 AM

Boy I can't draw paint or even decorate have not a drop of talent, even my quilting sucks. But its something I love so I keep at it.

Rita, the talentless one