Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Row by Row vs traditional Shop Hop >

Row by Row vs traditional Shop Hop

Row by Row vs traditional Shop Hop

Old 06-29-2016, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
I live in the far southwest Chicago area. My DD and I go to our local shops when we need something. The RxR gets us out of our area to check out the many shops in the Chicago area, mainly north and west areas. It's fun to checkout unfamiliar stores we wouldn't ordinarily know about. We haven't made a RxR quilt yet, though I did make one from all the license plates I collected and ordered online.
Hi, this is slightly off subject except it is a question about what shops to visit in the Bourbonnaise area. I will be visiting there July 16 to 18. Thanks, gramajo.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:07 AM

I've never done a shop hop. There aren't any that are very local to me and it's not something appealing enough to make me travel somewhere else. I'm also not fond of crowds, and aren't the shop hops usually a very short time frame? I'm the type who will happily pay MORE, just to avoid dealing with a crowded shop.

I stumbled upon the RXR by accident - I happened to be on a road trip 2 years ago during the RXR period and it was super convenient to use the RXR site to find new quilt shops along my route. It must have been during the very start because a lot of shops I went to had a festive sort of air about them and were running sales and some even had food out, but it still wasn't too terribly crowded. It was fun and easy and it got me hooked on collecting the plates.

The plates are often over-ordered, so I've been able to pick them up in shops months and months after the event is over. Since fabric is my favorite souvenir when I travel I'm always thrilled when I can pick up a plate from a new location - I don't care if it's last year's plate! I was in Maui back in April and managed to find 3 new plates while I was there, all leftovers from last year.

So that's what I like about the RXR. I haven't ever even tried any of the patterns so no comments there - I'm in it for the plates! I'm saving them up and when I have enough I'm going to make myself a travel tote for my sewing supplies.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:17 AM

I enjoy the row by row. I go to more shops some years than others. I have found some of the patterns have excellent instructions and some not so good. I am on vacation in Myrtle Beach and we are planning on hitting a couple of shops tomorrow. There a couple of LQS near my house near Cincinnati that have rows that i like. I also use this as an excuse to go to Fabric Shack. My area also has a shop hop in September. I often go to that as a birthday present to myself. There are several rows I would like that aren't in my area and have been trying to work out trades.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:10 AM

What makes me like the row by row..... nothing much. I would much prefer a shop hop. I know that some gals like the adventure of the trip and seeing new shops. I have stopped at too many shops to get the Row by Row for friends who like them and just don't care for the "blocks" myself. I have so many quilts on my "TO DO" list that I don't need any more!
Old 06-29-2016, 08:25 AM

I love the RxR. I went all over NY last year. I didn't get the ones I really wanted. So this year, I am starting early and driving some distances. I am the gal that likes the waterfall and woodsy patterns. I am planning a trip to Inlet, NY again. She has beautiful material. Not cheap, but I don't care. I am not wealthy, but have put some money away for this project. I buy pattern and material. This way I know I have it all. Besides I also like the scenery in the country.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:40 AM

I discovered row x row late last July. I really like it and watched for the start this year.

Last year I was able to pick up some rows and did a couple of trades for plates. What I like is you have plenty of time to collect up the patterns. Some shops were stops on the way to some other destination, some were local, and one was a trip to a town with 2 stores-day trip. Only one pattern per person in person but one can purchase the plates without restrictions. So you can trade plates with others which I think is a nice option. Kits can be purchased if you want the specific or specialty fabrics, but if you want to use what you have you can. And if there is a pattern you can't get to or find a friend to pickup you can order it after the experience and turn in time is over. Right now I don't plan to try for a prize as I have other things I need and want to finish first, maybe I will be trying next year.

I like the flexibility, and it gives me a chance to find quilt shops in areas I'm traveling through as I can check a list to get their information rather easily.

I look around the shops I stop at and sometimes find things I want to purchase, and sometimes there isn't anything especially appealing except fabric but I need to use up some of my stash so I have room for more. So unless it is something I really need for my current or very next project I would usually skip the fabric. No shop owner has ever made me feel like I had to purchase something either. I feel very welcome to the free pattern and they might say something like let me know if I can help you with anything, I feel free to look around and if there isn't anything I want to buy I feel free to leave.

I haven't done shop hops. When I have seen some of their events it is an expensive proposition. You have to buy a passport. You have to do a lot of traveling (at least for the ones I have seen in my area),lots of miles and therefore the cost of gas, and it is very short time a couple of days or a week. And if I remember correctly one had to either visit all shops or a certain number to be eligible for some type of prize or drawing so it seemed to me that it was pretty much a come and spend some money adventure. Which is great if one has plenty of time and money. It wasn't my thing. I would rather visit vendors at a quilt show and if in their area another time stop in their shop.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:55 AM

Gramajo where did you get the pattern? I love it!
Old 06-29-2016, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Charleen DiSante View Post
Hi, this is slightly off subject except it is a question about what shops to visit in the Bourbonnaise area. I will be visiting there July 16 to 18. Thanks, gramajo.
B & J Sewing Center is in Bourbonnais. My regular LQS is Top Shelf Quilts in Frankfort. Roberts in Joliet, Thimbles in Lockport are also others we visit fairly regularly. Go to the Illinois RxR pages for a listing of all the shops in IL. With a good map, you'll be able to figure out which are near to your route.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by vovoa View Post
Gramajo where did you get the pattern? I love it!
Road Trip Quilt by Handcrafts by Jennifer, www.handcraftsbyjennifer.com. My family has had a lot of vanity plates over the years, so we photographed them and printed them on Printed Treasures to add them to my quilt.

Last edited by gramajo; 06-29-2016 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-29-2016, 04:48 PM

Just came back from a trip to Orlando.. I scheduled a short vacation with a friend that had a meeting there.. Before I left, I got a map, and circled all the shops in the area, and put over 700 miles on the rental in four days.. The people in the shops were awesome.. I didn't find any hard sell of the kits, and managed to find things to buy in the stores.. I like the idea of keeping the stores in business.. Would I do it again.. You bet.. I still have to visit the shops in our area.. Im not in love with most of the patterns..