Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sandwiching on the floor is HARD. >

Sandwiching on the floor is HARD.

Sandwiching on the floor is HARD.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:17 AM

This is what I came up for my small sewing room. I took PVC pipe and made it the with of my room took drain ends and cut them in half and placed them on some plywood to have t different highs. Mounted them on each side of my room and placed the PVC pipe in the ends. As you can see I can have it up high out of my way or down so I can work with the three layers and easily tie off a big quilt with not much work, and it keeps the cat off while I am working on it. Hope this helps with people that have a small rooms.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-67934.jpe
Views:	126
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	67939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-67935.jpe
Views:	124
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	67940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-67936.jpe
Views:	124
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	67941  
Old 01-28-2010, 08:19 AM

Mrs. Otis,
Do you baste it while it's hanging on the pipe? I think you may be more coordinated than I am.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:28 AM

Yes, I start at the top and work from the middle to the sides. I will do half and then go to the other side and do the same thing. You can adjust the layers as you go it is very easy to work with. I can bring it down low enough to be eye level. You can have one person on one end and one on the other end and pull the layers to get out any wrinkles. Hope this helps you.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs Otis
This is what I came up for my small sewing room. I took PVC pipe and made it the with of my room took drain ends and cut them in half and placed them on some plywood to have t different highs. Mounted them on each side of my room and placed the PVC pipe in the ends. As you can see I can have it up high out of my way or down so I can work with the three layers and easily tie off a big quilt with not much work, and it keeps the cat off while I am working on it. Hope this helps with people that have a small rooms.
Great idea and beautiful quilts!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 AM

Thanks. I'd need those people to hold the edges the whole time I was basting, I'm afraid.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by BarbieQ
We have a chirch basement here in town but the priest is a little like hitler(for lack of a better word). He wants you to pay for every use, he charges even for weight watchers!
I think this is sad. It makes the church much less accessible.

Originally Posted by topper1
i have only done quilts for kids and crib size but i feel u could do bigger quilt and i balance it from ironing board on a file cabinet.
This wouldn't work for a queen or king size quilt. I'm thinking it would cause puckering in the back and I do just about anything to avoid those darn puckers on the back!

Originally Posted by lnordyke
Thanks. I'd need those people to hold the edges the whole time I was basting, I'm afraid.
Me too! Otherwise I'd probably end up pulling it down and over my head. :roll:
Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 PM

I have a large cutting mat on a 1/4 piece of plywood that almost covers my queen side bed. This is about waist high on me. I put the middle of the lining on the middle of of the bed, smooth it out to each side, (yes some is hanging off the bed.) Then, I begin layering starting in the center each time and smoothing outward. Next, I put quilting pins about every six inches. This part I don't like. I, too, can't get down in the floor anymore, and duh, never though of the church building where my husband preaches. Silvia
Old 01-28-2010, 06:30 PM

You can also check out your local library for table space to use.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

All great ideas...love yours Mrs. Otis. I too am having a hard time getting around on the floor, and every time I turn my back the dogs are investigating my work. Ah well, pawprints will just add to the "rustic charm" of my current project.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Google Goddess

See if there are any churches, libraries etc. that you can use their tables at their locations.