Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opinions Wanted -- from One-Quilt-At-A-Time Quilters >

Opinions Wanted -- from One-Quilt-At-A-Time Quilters

Opinions Wanted -- from One-Quilt-At-A-Time Quilters

Old 07-01-2016, 10:48 AM

If the project is a gift, which the majority of mine are, then I pretty well stick to it until it is done. As someone else mentioned taking a class is a good way to have lots of unfinished projects sitting around, but I do enjoy learning the new techniques. My problem is when I set a project aside to do a "must have" for a gift I have a hard time getting back to it. Many years ago we had a quilting group meeting in our church basement and they were after me to join (I sewed and did crafts but hadn't gotten the quilting bug yet) I used the "excuse" that I didn't have time as my daughter was playing high school sports with many games on "quilting night" Well came May they were starting a mystery quilt. The leader of the group~a 80 year old gentleman~ talked me into joining in. When I asked him how long it would take and he said about 6 weeks ~sewing once a week at the group night. Well I started and now 14 years later my "mystery" quilt is still a mystery! But I have many others done finished and used! Every once in a while one of the girls will ask me about the unfinished quilts I have that I started as a group project with them. LOL I am working harder at finishing my quilts. but right now I have gathered material for 3 and have another one planned, just haven't found the fabric I was looking for. I spent the last year working on QOV quilts that we presented to the veterans at my family reunion so now I have to catch up on all the baby quilts I put on the back burner so I could finish my QOV
Old 07-01-2016, 10:59 AM

When I work on a project I make a HUGE mess so there is no space to start another...until I clean up. That only happens when I finish something!
Old 07-01-2016, 11:40 AM

Thanks to you all for the many thought-provoking ideas you have presented. Many years ago our quilt guild hosted Jean Ray Laury who spoke at length on this subject. She described "project" quilters and "process" quilters. Most of us fall into one of these two categories - but the stories behind this can vary as shown by this lively discussion. No one of us has the same space and/or time to pursue our beloved quilting activities - and as time goes by, so will our needs, time, health, and economic circumstances affect our work. How fortunate we are to have quilting and quilting friends to share it with.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:23 PM

I like to start one thing and finish it completely before I start another one, my mom was like that too...maybe growing up watching her piece quilts by hand and finishing them before starting on another taught me that procedure...but I'm very OCD and I contribute that to my madness...Also clean up sewing area before I start a new project..after I finish one...NOW I do have some tops that have not been quilted, but they were my Mom's and Sister's before they passed away...Still miss them both every day...but I'm so thankful that I found this Quilting Forum not long after the deaths of my Mom and Sister (both quilters) it helped me to be able to carry on with my quilting...it helped me to mourn...they are with me every stitch I make...gives me comfort...and peace...I will say I keep a list of which quilt comes next...usually for family members, they seem to not get enough of them.. they feed my hobby...LOL and I enjoy each and everyone I make for them...My 6 yr old great grandson has about 6 quilts already, and he can tell you each one I have made for him..Him and my 16 yr old grandson keeps tabs on how many each one has, seems to me they are in a race to see who can get the most...Grandson has one of the list right now...waiting...so I'm sure great-grandson will ask for one too....he is getting a little sister in Sept...so I can't wait to start some for her...
Old 07-01-2016, 12:26 PM

Wow, quilters, I appreciate all of you who responded to my request for advice on being a One-Quilt-At-A-Time quilter. I got so many good ideas -- especially from those who limit yourselves to working on one quilt at a time. I am studying the responses, and in the past few days, I have already implemented a few ideas you described.

I do, indeed, love every aspect of the quilt-making process. However, I want to simplify my quilting life and get some of these PIGS completed and into the hands of folks who will use the quilts. I promised myself that I will not start anymore quilts until I see progress on completing the 20 PIGS I have stacked in closets all over my house. As the saying goes, "If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."

If you are a One-Quilt-At-A-Time quilter, I would still love to get your input, so help me out with your advice.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:06 PM

I had another thought. If you are trying to change your habits, I would consider cleaning out the room you sew in and then putting away everything but the one project you choose to work on. Out of sight is out of mind. Organize your WIP so that each is away in its own contained box/bag, not laying out where you can see it. When trying to change a habit, it can be important to change the environment to support the new workflow rather than relying on discipline alone!
Old 07-01-2016, 01:08 PM

I had a "bad" year when I started several projects and had them going (or NOT going) simultaneously. No matter which one I worked on, I felt frustrated because I wasn't working on the others too. I learned my lesson! Now I have one "major" project for the year that I consider a challenge for some reason (viz. something I hadn't tried, hadn't had much experience with, or with fabrics or a pattern I simply adore). This year it's Jinny Beyer's "Moonglow". I take my time with the annual "major" project and enjoy the process and the learning experience. In addition, I do quick projects like small wall hangings, table runners, pillows, totes etc. (again, one going at a time as the mood strikes me). This approach allows me to enjoy my other hobbies without feeling "overwhelmed" or pressured by WIPs or UFOs.
Old 07-01-2016, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Teri D View Post
I had a "bad" year when I started several projects and had them going (or NOT going) simultaneously. No matter which one I worked on, I felt frustrated because I wasn't working on the others too. I learned my lesson! Now I have one "major" project for the year that I consider a challenge for some reason (viz. something I hadn't tried, hadn't had much experience with, or with fabrics or a pattern I simply adore). This year it's Jinny Beyer's "Moonglow". I take my time with the annual "major" project and enjoy the process and the learning experience. In addition, I do quick projects like small wall hangings, table runners, pillows, totes etc. (again, one going at a time as the mood strikes me). This approach allows me to enjoy my other hobbies without feeling "overwhelmed" or pressured by WIPs or UFOs.
This resonates within my soul. I can't wait to get some of my UFO's done as well. And, I see a little more self control in my future on starting new projects.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:20 PM

I am one of the one-at-a-time quilters. The reason is that is all my brain can focus at one thing at a time.
If I was to star two or three quilts at a time I would get so over whelmed I would never get any of the quilts done.
I have trained myself to just work on one quilt or project at a time. If you can do more than one thing at I time I truly admire you, I wish I was a person who could.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by SweatyPie View Post
Dear one -- if it's not your propensity to be a single minded quilter, you simply will not succeed. There is no discipline, it's simply the way one's brain was designed by the creator (who was Himself given to making many things of a day)
This is great! Thank you for validating me.