Men and Directions

Old 07-04-2016, 11:52 AM

When we started using a gps....my husband had a broken arm, and I was driving. JILL (the female voice)was giving directions as we found our way to a Drs appointment for him in a strange city. Hubby turns to me and says "there is NO WAY that thing is gonna work! imagine one woman trying to tell another woman what to do!"

Last edited by fatquarters; 07-04-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:08 PM

My husband studies all the maps and does the google street view before we go anywhere new. So we rarely get lost because he even knows where to go if there's construction or heavy traffic and we decide to re-route. We're probably the only people nowadays that don't rely on a device to get us places.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:15 PM

We have had some wonderful adventures getting lost. Best is when we can just change where we were going to where we end up!! others may laugh, but we sure do have fun. It is less fun when you are going somewhere specific - this technique doesn't work then.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:41 PM

It's in their DNA but as far as my husband, it's a family trait. It is a fact that I have given directions, he ignores them & gets lost. I can repeat the directions & we get where we need to be. I keep hoping we can skip steps 2 & 3 but it hasn't happened yet.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:46 PM

My DH can't read a map - its the only explanation I can think of as to why he will expect me to figure out a route with the information he's gotten from a buddy. EG Don't take the highway just go straight at the intersection and that road will take you to XYZ, turn left and you will be on (the road in front of our house...).
But according to the map "the road" zigzags across the country with turning corners every whish way... After him yelling at me that I was directing him in circles I threw the map into the back of the van and told him to listen to the GPS. We got into familiar territory (for me) and he told me he didn't want to go XXX. I told him before we got to XXX there would be a sign to our village and to turn that direction. When we pulled into that place he finally apologized after 3 hours of giving me grief. He managed to wreck in that short time a lovely vacation across our province ...
His dream was always to travel when he retired but I sure won't be travelling with him...
Old 07-05-2016, 03:10 AM

My husband can find anything....he never gets lost for some reason. Even traveling out of state. It amazes me!!
Old 07-05-2016, 08:17 AM

Mine falls into the category of "better to be lost than stop and ask for directions".
Old 07-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

In our 47 years of marriage and even while we were dating, I was the "Navigator", that is until my DH developed severe vertigo and stopped driving. Fortunately, he has started driving again, and because with some of my medical issues, driving has been challenging, to say the least. He would get upset with me when we moved to MA and I had to learn how to get around, and it was very difficult for me. We did get a GPS, but then I would have to listen to the voice on the GPS, his voice telling me where to go, all the time, driving and trying to read street signs so I could make the right turns. He was ridiculously upset with me, when I didn't learn a route immediately, which I had always done as the "Navigator", not as the driver, whose responsibilities were different. I do believe that men are lacking the "directions" gene at birth and no matter how smart they are, it isn't always enough. I do find your story amusing, as I've been there, done that, so many times I've lost tract.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:43 AM

I am terrible with direction. If I am going anywhere, I have to look it up on Google maps, look at all the pictures along the route so when I see it while driving I'll know I'm on the right path, then use my Garmin as well.....(which is old and I don't trust because it has led me astray in the past)
Old 07-06-2016, 08:39 AM
mac

Do you think that that gene defect is related to the gene defect that doesn't allow husbands to find the milk in the refrigerator because the small yogurt cup is in front of it?

I just loved these stories. Thanks for all of the laughs.