A kindle ?

Old 07-07-2016, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

We are a Kindle house. I think we have at least 7, mostly the Fire models. They are so handy and useful. I also buy the Kindle Fires when on sale for $39 to put up for gifts. I've never seen anyone not love having one given to them. What else can you buy for $39 that has that much wow factor? If you have Amazon Prime, movies and tv shows are streamed to the Fire to watch anytime. Now most movies can be downloaded to the Kindle Fire to watch without being in a wi fi area. Amazon Prime added subscription channels. You can get all the premium cable channels for a few dollars a month to have full access to the channel. I love Acorn TV. It's all British tv series. Most all cable channels can be streamed through Amazon Prime. Many don't know that if you have cable any channels you pay for on cable are free stream on any device.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:11 AM

My problem with downloading the free Kindle books is by not being able to delete the entire book, I don't know which ones I've read. How does everyone record their read books? I do love having a book to read on my phone. It's great for when I'm lying down and also when I'm waiting in the car or for doctor appointments, etc. I don't have much memory on my free iPhone so it is good that you can "remove from device" to the cloud but it seems to me once you've read it you don't need it there any more.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:29 AM

I've been able to delete books through my Amazon account. I have a Kindle paperwhite. If you sign into your Amazon account, click on Your Account (under your name). Then click on "manage your content and devices". You just click in the box next to any book you want to delete and at the top, there is a delete button. Be very careful that you don't delete something you really want. It is permanent!

Last edited by Judith1005; 07-07-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
We are a Kindle house. I think we have at least 7, mostly the Fire models. They are so handy and useful. I also buy the Kindle Fires when on sale for $39 to put up for gifts. I've never seen anyone not love having one given to them. What else can you buy for $39 that has that much wow factor? If you have Amazon Prime, movies and tv shows are streamed to the Fire to watch anytime. Now most movies can be downloaded to the Kindle Fire to watch without being in a wi fi area. Amazon Prime added subscription channels. You can get all the premium cable channels for a few dollars a month to have full access to the channel. I love Acorn TV. It's all British tv series. Most all cable channels can be streamed through Amazon Prime. Many don't know that if you have cable any channels you pay for on cable are free stream on any device.
I did not know about the movies and what not. I do not have a Kindle Fire. But, I will be picking one or two up during the next sale. Thank you!!
Old 07-07-2016, 11:39 AM

JudyBsquared, you hit on exactly my problem ! I have around 200 books on my Kindle account, and it got to where I couldn't remember which ones I had read, and which ones I hadn't, so I just stopped downloading any. I like reading books on my phone, but how do you all separate/mark which books you've already read ? I know how to delete books from my account, but it's too much trouble and takes too much time to open every book to see if I've read it.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:22 PM

As far as knowing which books I have read on my Kindle and Kindle Paper white, when I open my "library" or list of books, each one shows the percentage of the book that has been read so I can tell immediately the ones I've already read and the ones that I've started but didn't like. They might say 20% or so if I didn't like them. I could go in and delete them but I seldom take the time to do that. Another feature that enjoy is that if I try to buy or download a book I already have, my Amazon account tells me. I do tend to forget the names of books I've read. Whether I'm getting ebooks from the library, cheap books from Bookbub or buying from Amazon, it all goes through my Amazon account which is very convenient for me.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
Geri, From your computer go to your Amazon account and then to your Kindle Devices. You should see a list of all your books and apps. Check the box next to the things you want to edit. You should see a list of options. Remove or delete should be there.
Yipee! I did that and it worked...thanks for the help! Btw...I don't "buy" ebooks...only click on free!

Last edited by Geri B; 07-07-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:55 PM
Power Poster

I got the $49 kindle when some of the folks recommended it and I find it hard to use compared to my iPhone and iPad. for my purposes it isn't any easier to read. Just talking about myself and it isn't as intuitive to me as the i products. so sadly it sits uncharged next to its charger and I feel like I wasted that $$. Am I missing something?
Old 07-07-2016, 07:23 PM

Stitchnripper - What about it do you find hard to use? Maybe you just need some help....

Another thought - if you prefer your iPad and iPhone, you can always download the Kindle app, which is free, and read your books that way.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Stitchnripper - What about it do you find hard to use? Maybe you just need some help....

Another thought - if you prefer your iPad and iPhone, you can always download the Kindle app, which is free, and read your books that way.
thats what I have too. I guess having iPad first and used to it, makes navigating the fire a bit difficult, but I will beat it! I read books on iPad via kindle app......next going to try overdrive....