Men and Directions

Old 07-06-2016, 09:48 AM

Mac, It's also probably the same gene that causes them to push the trash down until the bag is at it's bursting point nust so they can avoid emptying it.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:54 AM
mac

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
Mac, It's also probably the same gene that causes them to push the trash down until the bag is at it's bursting point nust so they can avoid emptying it.
Too true, too true!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
When I was a student pilot, while flying, I watched 5 guys approach a small airport north of Los Angeles in the wrong direction. I had a small book on local airports and the way to approach the airport for landing. We were all student pilots and had to go look for someone to sign our log books that we actually flew to that airport. The old man asked "who flew the Cherokee airplane". I said it was me and then he proceed to scold all the guys of how I was the only one who correctly approached this airport. I kept a very straight face but was chuckling inside. I think it is just buried somewhere in their DNA!
my husband is a pilot. your experience with inept "pilots" frightens the crap out of me! I hope that none of them continued in their flying. good grief! Could have been a tragic ending. Well trained pilots don't make that mistake.
sandy
Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

When my two girls were small DH got us lost in a large city. It was hot, the kids were cranky and hungry. I suggested several times we stop and I'd go in and ask directions. He kept saying no he would find the right way. I had one of the bag phones then for emergencies. When DH stopped at a stop sign, I got out, got the girls out and called a taxi. I said I'll meet you at the hotel, you can follow the taxi. He has never hesitated to ask directions since. Now of course we use the GPS in the car. LOL
Old 07-06-2016, 08:01 PM

DH cannot read a map -- I was always the navigator. When DS was in 7th grade we moved to a new, big city and DS was not happy. He had a hobby -- collecting comic books. I got a city map and would copy addresses of comic book stores from the phone book and hand everything to him when I picked him up from school. He had to give me directions -- and he got quite good at it and knows the city very well. However, as an adult he will use GPS but not ask directions (I picture him as one of those folks who get stranded in the boonies because the GPS is giving him the wrong directions.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:14 PM
MCH

Two chuckles --
1. Several years ago, my DH and I were in Melbourne, Australia. On one particular walk, we were heading toward the farmer's market on St. Kilda. He had the map and was diligently following it, but we weren't getting anywhere close to the market. "Are you sure we're going the right direction?" "Yes." After a few minutes, I still wasn't convinced. Then, my geographer's brain kicked in. "Turn the map upside down and you'll see where we are relative to the market and to the sun."

He had been "navigating" via the map and the relative position of the sun to the map and to us.

You see, we were in the southern hemisphere and the sun is in the northern sky, rather than in the southern sky as it is in the northern hemisphere. Once he turned the map upside down, we retraced our steps and were able to enjoy some time at the farmer's market...eventually.

2. My DH and I returned to our hometown for a high school reunion (one of those that ends in x0). We both grew up in that town and were high school sweethearts, then college sweethearts who ultimately got married. He will freely admit that I have a phenomenal memory for details and can navigate to almost anywhere.

On this particular morning, we were headed to brunch with some classmates at the restaurant at the local general aviation airport. I knew exactly where the restaurant was and how to get there. BTW, I was driving; he was following the directions on his map application on his phone. As I was merrily making my way to the restaurant, following a route I followed numerous times to visit my aunt and uncle whose house was in the general vicinity of the airport, my DH would pepper me with alternate routes, turns, etc. In the meantime, we came to some major construction on one of the main roads. "Just let the app re-calculate the route and we'll be fine." I already had mapped out an alternate route in my head, but he just wouldn't let it go. So, sighing, I followed the directions he gave me.

We went a route that I knew would not get us to the restaurant, but...the app knows best, right? Wrong. "Turn right at the next street and that will take us to the restaurant." "This is through a neighborhood no where near the airport." "Just turn and it will be fine." I turned as instructed. Yep, we were going through a neighborhood. "Turn right at the end of the street." By then, I was rolling my eyes. I turned...onto an unpaved one-lane, pot-hole ridden road (?) through a harvested corn field...which ran parallel to the airport's runway and on the opposite side of the runway from the restaurant!

I turned the car around and followed the route I knew to the airport and the restaurant.

Last edited by MCH; 07-07-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:44 PM

Sewingsew, looks like you know how to keep a happy relationship happy! Ha ha ha! How funny that he'd do the exact same thing! Clearly it's in his DNA! DH will not ask for directions. I volunteer to ask! Eventually he'll let me ask, but he needs to park in such a way that no one knows that he's even in the vehicle!
Old 07-07-2016, 01:00 PM

My husband is usually a good navigator, but when he "misses a turn" (or20) he just drives faster.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:32 PM

We're not lost until we run out of fuel....
Old 07-08-2016, 11:29 AM

My husband hates asking for directions. He will eventually stop and ask after he's been lost for a hour or so. A few years back we were in South Texas for a wedding. I had to get our boys down early so they could get their Tuxedos and DH came later with his dad. When we left, DH and his dad left about 1 1/2 hours before the boys and I did. We were 40 miles from home when DH passed me on the interstate. I was just stunned because they left so far ahead of us and we both were taking the same route. Seems he missed his exit in one city and didn't want to stop and ask or as the ON STAR in the car.