Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tutorials ----Who do you follow? >

Tutorials ----Who do you follow?

Tutorials ----Who do you follow?

Old 07-19-2016, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbaby12 View Post
Missouri Star Quilt Company - Jenny makes it easier and inspires me.
Jenny's tutorials are great. My biggest issue is that many of her blocks have bias edges all around the outside of the block, it makes sewing the top more difficult. I have figured out ways to make her blocks without the bias edges.
Sharon in Texas
Old 07-19-2016, 10:42 PM

I guess I'm way behind the times, but I'd be interested in what is meant by the term "shock jock" as it pertains to Jenny Doan. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but I am curious as to what is meant by that terminology.

Jeanette
Old 07-20-2016, 11:34 AM

I love watching Sew Very Easy (Laura) on YouTube. She makes a lot of different projects though, not just quilts.

I think when someone referred to Jenny as a "shock jock", they meant that she thinks out of the box when quilting. She's not all hung up on the "rules" of quilting and makes quilts you can sit on, take to the park, and "abuse" when necessary! She doesn't pretend to be making heirloom quilts (like, for instance, Jinny Beyer). Jenny has fun quilting, and that's why I love her. Everyone has much different taste!
Old 07-21-2016, 09:18 AM

Here is an example of the difference between Doans and Burns. Doans sews around the outside of the squares then cuts to make a bunch of half sq triangle ( you have bias edges) Burns sews an x then cuts so no bias edges.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the links -- I watch some of them and look forward to investigating others.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:27 AM

Bonnie Hunter--just love her scrappy quilts. Thanks for asking.
Karen
Old 07-24-2016, 05:20 PM

"Here is an example of the difference between (1) Doan and (2) Burns. Doan sews around the outside of the squares then cuts to make a bunch of half sq triangle ( you have bias edges) Burns sews an x then cuts so no bias edges."

I spray Best Press to set the fabric before I use the first method.

Bear with me here. Abstract visualization is one of my weak spots. Using the two methods above, wouldn't each set of blocks have a different color pattern than the other?
Old 07-24-2016, 06:17 PM

i have always been a fan of crazymomquilts and cluckclucksew. Both have some wonderful techniques and tutorials.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:40 AM

Just about every fabric company has a ton of free patterns. I like the ones by Art Gallery Fabrics best.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I guess I'm way behind the times, but I'd be interested in what is meant by the term "shock jock" as it pertains to Jenny Doan. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but I am curious as to what is meant by that terminology.

Jeanette
I've just noticed that some of the things she does in quilting are a tad over the top. No I can't think of any examples right now. Sometimes I get the impression that she's doing things a certain way solely for entertainment purposes rather than because it's the best way, which is why I've decided she's the "shock jock" of quilting. That's not an insult, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not saying she's Howard Stern or anything, but in a world of quiet voices and "proper" processes, she pushes the envelope a bit. And I get the impression that if I met her in person in a place where she could be herself, she would be a bit outspoken, but in a fun way.

I have also noticed that she doesn't get overly hung up on accuracy. That's probably a good thing for some, but might get frustrating for others. And the bias cutting someone mentioned. It may make the first step quicker, but may make the overall quilt harder to put together. Sewing the bias and pressing the straight grain is best for overall accuracy.

But I love Jenny. She is probably my favorite, just because of her easy to listen to demeanor. I wasn't trying to imply otherwise.

Last edited by TeresaA; 07-25-2016 at 06:20 AM.