Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pre-cut or Yardage? >

Pre-cut or Yardage?

Pre-cut or Yardage?

Old 07-28-2016, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by amandaKquilts View Post
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!

I wanted to post because I was curious to see if you all prefer buying yardage or pre-cut fabrics. I am fairly new to quilting, and I have a ton of projects in mind. Will possibly be working on my first baby quilt shortly. I was just curious to see if you can get better deals buying pre-cuts, or if the yardage ends up being the better deal in the end.

Thoughts?
**edit from original post, sorry to exclude the awesome gentlemen! ** Happy Quilting!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:57 AM

I buy mostly by the yard and cut down to what I need. I love fabric and can never have to much.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:59 AM

I've gotten some sale deals on precuts at places like Craftsy that I would consider close to a bargain (since I wanted all the members of the group). I've only once ordered smaller than fat quarters. However, in general full yardage is better priced, besides being more amenable to washing (I wash all fabrics because of the dye smell, since I figure something that smells so bad can't be that good to breathe in while cutting and sewing.).

If you need a super small amount of multiple fabrics, precuts are probably more economical. Otherwise, go with yardage.

Some sites offer full yards for a huge bargain. https://www.thousandsofbolts.com/ and https://www.whittlesfabrics.com/ come to mind

Last edited by TeresaA; 07-28-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:28 AM
Banned

Connecting Threads sells their pre cuts for the same price as their yardage. A large portion of my stash comes from them.
http://www.connectingthreads.com/

Cari
Old 07-28-2016, 10:29 AM

I buy and use them all. We have so many beautiful choices now days that it's hard for me to just pick one of two fabrics in a line, so layer cakes are a favorite of mine. I also search out layer cakes for I spy quilts as the variety is already there. That being said, if the fabric is on sale will buy a bit more and not on sale will get 1/2 yd to 1 1/2 yd. as I do a lot of scrappy type quilts. If you like less busy quilts, buy larger amounts of fabric.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:42 AM

I buy both, however I usually only buy pre-cuts when they are on sale. I follow Missouri Star Quilts daily deal and also subscribe to Block magazine and since I still work full time using pre-cuts saves me time. I do buy yardage of fabric that I really love or have a specific project in mind for or if it is a blender fabric. Can't wait to retire in the next year and start using up my stash.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by amandaKquilts View Post
What do you all think about the fat quarters? do you only purchase them when they are on-sale, or just stay away? I purchased a few a couple weeks ago when JAF had them for $1. But I got them primarily to do some practicing.
I am a huge fan of fat quarters. I love scrappy quilts, and will almost always use 20 blues, for instance, instead of a single fabric. So a big stash of fat quarters allows me to have that kind of variety. Also, I really love cutting from half width of fabric rather than full width, since my space for cutting is usually rather limited (mostly by my mess, but that's another story).
Old 07-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

I wish I had collected pre cuts more then yardage. Yardage is fine for borders, background, backing, and binding. With a pre cut you get all the fabric in the line. Very few shops carry the full line in yardage. I buy layer cakes and jelly rolls the most. Not only are baskets full of pre cuts beautiful they are very motivating! When you see a jelly rolls in a shop how do you feel? That's how I feel when I walk in my sewing room.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:13 AM
Power Poster

The nice thing about precuts is that you get variety. I get jelly rolls or layer cakes when I want to have a piece of the entire collection. Otherwise I stay with yardage. I also have a lot of FQ but then I really like to work the scrappy look. Some patterns are FQ-friendly, but then - a yard makes 4 FQs (or 2 FQs with 1/2 yard left over).
Old 07-28-2016, 11:37 AM

If the same fabric is available in pre-cuts & yardage, I typically buy yardage. I do a lot of appliqued baby quilts & like to use many different fabrics. Sometimes I can find what I need & just buy 1/4 or at one LQS evey 1/8 yd cuts. Other times, they just don't have as much to choose from on bolts, so I'll buy pre-cuts. However, as others have said, pre-cuts can really be hit-or-miss. I like Fat 16ths (9x11) but I've had some that were as small as 7.25x10.125" before trying to straighten them so I generally find it more economical to buy as much from yardage as I can.