Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Complete beginner here >
  • Complete beginner here

• Complete beginner here

Old 07-25-2016, 11:41 AM

Welcome! Welcome! Your hand stitching is so even! Look forward to seeing more of your projects.
    Old 07-26-2016, 04:17 AM

welcome from se TX --so glad you are enjoying your new hobby and have lots of resources and support!!
    Old 07-26-2016, 04:48 AM

Welcome from OHIO! Your baby quilt is adorable and your grandpa's quilt is a treasure!
    Old 07-26-2016, 11:51 AM

Thanks again For the baby quilt I've been using a lap hoop stand and an "Aunt Becky". I learned lap quilting with the group, and watched youtube videos to teach myself how to use the Aunt Becky (trying to reduce finger pricks as my job can expose me to icky stuff sometimes (like sewage...). I think it's helped me keep my stitches even--I was told even stitches were more important than size of stitches, so working on that before I work on making them smaller.

Something that makes me happy... My interest in quilting has inspired my mom to pull out and finish a quilt she started years ago. It's contagious!
    Old 07-28-2016, 10:24 AM

Your baby quilt is so cute. And I love your grandpa's sentimental quilt. I have one my aunt made from remnants of my dresses, my mom's as well as my aunt's. It is double knit scraps, so that dates it, but it still means something to me - seeing different scraps and remembering what was made in that fabric.

Welcome!
    Old 07-31-2016, 09:45 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554995[/ATTACH]Welcome from Manitoba-Canada, came up with this project while fiddling in my scrap pile of lesser quality fabrics.. Loved it so much now working on an adult size for me..
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot_20160124.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	554995  
    Old 08-29-2016, 06:05 PM

Welcome from New Mexico! I, too, am a kind of Newbie. I had always wanted to quilt, but didn't know where to begin. I admire your cute baby blanket. What a fun place to start. It's really cute. Once you get going, it becomes an addiction. The members are so good about sharing and helping everyone. You are lucky to have your Mom as a resource. Maybe someday you can be a resource for a new quilter, too! Have fun!
    Old 09-28-2016, 02:57 PM

their are many styles of quilting enjoy and welcome from MB
    Old 09-29-2016, 02:00 PM

Hi from Central Texas!! The baby quilt is super cute, love the hand stitches outlining things! I'm not a hand stitcher at all, the patience involved amazes me you should be very proud! I also have a special place in my heart for the simple square quilts like your granddads. I have one on my bed and I love it, every square has a special meaning to me and I remember what every fabric was originally purchased for, it was a simple quilt to make but it means so much.
    Old 01-18-2017, 04:13 PM

Thanks again, everyone, for the welcome! I just wanted to update this thread with a big "I finished!" (well, kind of...)

I just finished the binding on the baby quilt. It all "only" took 105.5 hours, lol. I learned a lot with it though, and really enjoyed the whole process. I've had a second baby quilt started for a while (also a panel), and making good progress on that.

Two other machine-quilted quilts happened in the meantime as well (a Grinch quilt for myself, and a black and batik-blue quilt for my son, as well as a Weird Al concert quilt--really thick batting to make it softer to sit on the ground at outdoor concerts.)

As for why it's kind of finished... I used Warm and Natural for the batting, and need to go back and add a little more quilting to the areas that have over 8" between stitches. So, as I have short amounts of time, I'll add little flowers, rocks, dandelion fluffs, something, to make sure I have my distances all good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566028[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]566029[/ATTACH]

The panel was found at Salvation Army, and the ends and backing were in the remnant bin at JAF. The binding I had to buy from the bolts, but there was a great sale + coupon. Now it just needs a special little kid to love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	quilt 1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	566028   Click image for larger version

Name:	quilt 2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	566029