Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions needed for quilting frame >

Suggestions needed for quilting frame

Suggestions needed for quilting frame

Old 07-31-2016, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

I use to baste using a three rail quilt frame. What a chore. If you machine quilt then use Elmer's School Glue diluted with water to spray the batting, smooth out the top on the batting, press dry and then turn and repeat with the baking. I can baste a queen size quilt is less then 30 min. using fold out tables. My quilt sandwich is completely smooth and flat, no way a wrinkle or pucker can happen. The glue washes completely out. Elmer's is a thick starch product not a chemical glue product. Elmer's knows kids will ingest it so it is non toxic. I gave my quilt frame away.
Old 07-31-2016, 11:09 AM

I have a longarm now, but when I hand-quilter, I used one of those folding tables - the older kind that are wood veneer (about 30"X30"). Lay down each layer and attach to the table with welding clamps (they are red and grey usually). Then, hand-baste from the center out. When you are done with each section (depending on the size of the table), carefully scoot it over and re-attach with the welding clamps around the perimeter). I liked those older folding tables because the depth of the table was about the size I could squeeze those welding clamps open! And, the wood veneer surface didn't really "scratch" from the needle. That was many, many years ago, but it always worked well for me. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2016, 11:21 AM

Do you use just a regular spray bottle? Doesn't the glue gunk it up?
Old 08-01-2016, 03:28 AM

I use 2 long boards and roll the top on one and the bottom one the other. Then when you unroll the boards lay the baton in between. I hand baste them. I've tryed spray, pins, tape and nothing works for me. There is a utube I'm just not sure what it's called.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:49 AM

That's a really good idea. I have one of those tables.
Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
I have a longarm now, but when I hand-quilter, I used one of those folding tables - the older kind that are wood veneer (about 30"X30"). Lay down each layer and attach to the table with welding clamps (they are red and grey usually). Then, hand-baste from the center out. When you are done with each section (depending on the size of the table), carefully scoot it over and re-attach with the welding clamps around the perimeter). I liked those older folding tables because the depth of the table was about the size I could squeeze those welding clamps open! And, the wood veneer surface didn't really "scratch" from the needle. That was many, many years ago, but it always worked well for me. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2016, 03:50 AM

I like this idea too. Thanks!
Originally Posted by Nanakerr View Post
I use 2 long boards and roll the top on one and the bottom one the other. Then when you unroll the boards lay the baton in between. I hand baste them. I've tryed spray, pins, tape and nothing works for me. There is a utube I'm just not sure what it's called.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:54 AM

Thanks for the help, everyone! I bought a 8' closet rod, the things to hang it from, and several clamps. I am envisioning clamping the layers to the top of it and letting the quilt layers hang freely. Hoping that will make it easier for me to pin since I'll be able to reach both sides. Do most of you baste, rather than pin?
Old 08-01-2016, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Was that a Freudian slip? I often feel like they have a monopoly on what I want.

Watson - easily amused
I got a giggle out of that one too!