Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there are good resource for "quilting?" >

Is there are good resource for "quilting?"

Is there are good resource for "quilting?"

Old 08-01-2016, 04:10 AM

Default Is there are good resource for "quilting?"

Ugh. Sorry for the title ....

What I mean is FMQ ... even doing straight lines, stippling, stitch in ditch, etc.
I've looked @ some youtube videos, but a GREAT resource book to have on hand would be good for me.

Before I get started quilting the table runner that I made ... I want to be absolutely certain about the thread that I use ... the needle that I use .... I DO have a walking foot , thankfully! I will keep my thread & bobbin color the same. Does my thread on top & bottom need to match, in terms of the type of thread that it is?

Anything else that I need to know or remember?
I could really use some advice on what KIND of thread to use ... and the exact needle type & size that you think works best.
Thanks so much!
Really do appreciate all the help that I am finding here.

Beautiful day here .... can't wait to have fun with this!

I have enough scraps left over to make another fun, but simple table runner (strips of fabric positioned "high & low" in a row ... with a white background). But that'll have to come later.

I have orders from my daughter that today is my deadline for getting her our wedding guest list ... I have it, just need to get it into a Word doc to send to her. The wedding is in 12 weeks. <3<3<3

Last edited by jackiequilts4fun; 08-01-2016 at 04:12 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:23 AM

If you have a JAF near there are a few books in the quilting book rack that would be good to invest in. I'm not in my sewing cave now, so can't give you titles, authors.....but have a few, good for reference. Here's another trick I have used...buy a kids magna doodle....great to "play" on for trying q design.....
Old 08-01-2016, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

Since this is going to be your first, I would strongly recommend that you make another pineapple block (scraps or matching your runner) and create a practice sandwich. You can audition your thread choice, verify your needle size (top stitch or jeans needle should work well), work out any tension issues, and most importantly do a bit of practice before you work on your actual project. Even straight stitching with a walking foot takes a bit of finesse and it's better to not practice on such an important item!
Old 08-01-2016, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

The two BEST books (IMHO) for Domestic Machine quilting are:

Heirloom Machine Quilting by Harriett Hargrave. You can can pick it up used on Amazon for as little as $5

https://www.amazon.com/Heirloom-Mach...ag=googhydr-20

And Guide to Machine quilting by Diane Gaudynski, which you can get used from Amazon for the price of shipping
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1574327968...YC8GAJ139MT3CX

Both books are a great resource for any quilters library. Diane's books talks extensively about threads with wonderful close up pics showing the differences when quilting with different weights and types of threads.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Since this is going to be your first, I would strongly recommend that you make another pineapple block (scraps or matching your runner) and create a practice sandwich. You can audition your thread choice, verify your needle size (top stitch or jeans needle should work well), work out any tension issues, and most importantly do a bit of practice before you work on your actual project. Even straight stitching with a walking foot takes a bit of finesse and it's better to not practice on such an important item!
I second the advice to do a practice piece first. It will save your HOURS AND HOURS of time
and second guessing of your choices.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:06 AM

Guess what?

Before I made the table runner, I made a practice 'pineapple block' to make sure that I would like it!!!

I'll practice on that piece. THANK YOU!!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Heirloom Machine Quilting by Harriett Hargrave. You can can pick it up used on Amazon for as little as $5
https://www.amazon.com/Heirloom-Mach...ag=googhydr-20
I took a machine quilting class from Harriett and she has been a big influence in the way I quilt. I have her book and it has always been like a Bible to me with regards to quilting. When starting to do FMQ, I strongly suggestion that you follow a line at first. It is hard to concentrate on moving the quilt for good stitch length and at the same time worry about where you are headed next. Secondly, it is best to use the same thread top and bottom because newbies aren't always precise with moving their fabric so you can get little pop up of your bobbin thread. They won't show up if you use the same thread. Good luck and remember to breath and never stop on a curve.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:24 AM

I'm not sure about a particular book. I suppose I'd pick this one:
http://www.harriethargrave.com/Books...-Year-p78.html

There are all sorts of options out there for thread, needles, etc, but here is what is generally accepted as the easiest set-up for beginning quilters:
- matching thread color top & bottom
- 50wt cotton thread (Aurifil is the cream of the crop, but Gutermann is also a pretty good thread & more readily available)
- For a 50wt thread, a size 80/12 Microtex needle works well both for quilting & piecing. If you struggle with getting your needle threaded, you can use size 80/12 Topstitch needle, but it does make slightly larger holes in the fabric. They sell both of those in Schmetz brand at JAF. Schmetz needles are nice because they're color-coded making it easy to figure out which needle you have in your machine.
- You generally want a thread color that is just a shade greyer/duller than your fabric. That will show up the least. I know how horrible that sounds, but trust me, you'll be glad you did it. After enough time working designs, you'll start to think "wow, I really wish I didn't pick such a busy fabric & matching 50wt thread" ... at that point, it's time to start considering other options. But especially with FMQ, that will take a while.
- Always do a practice piece to check thread tension. It's typically set between 1-3 for FMQ and 2-4 for a walking foot.
- Low loft cotton batting is easiest to machine quilt. Warm & Natural is a good option. It's 88% cotton, 12% synthetic scrim. The scrim is what holds it together. Seed side goes up.
- Never quilt farther apart (length or width) than what the batting package recommends. Beyond that, if it's going to be washed on a regular basis (like a table runner), you usually want to keep quilting lines no more than 2" apart. So, for example, you could SID the pineapples & do a 2" crosshatch for the rest of your runner.
- Be sure to carefully baste your quilt. I prefer pins, but due to deadline & being a new quilter (how exciting!), you might consider glue basting. There are plenty of tutorials on this site & on YouTube. You just use Elmer's Washable School Glue (must use the washable version!). The other SUPER easy option that I just learned about through my quilting guild is Bosal Craft-Tex. It's a fusible product for table runners. It comes on a roll of 20x50" that you just cut to size & fuse directly to your quilt top & backing fabric. It looks quite lovely quilted, but I haven't used it myself. It's advertised as "perfect for beginning quilters". Here's a video from the Easy Peezy website if you're interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=8nsqdnz0WU0
- Cut backing & batting slightly larger (at least 2" all around) than top. Tape backing to flat surface (like counter or table), apply glue as directed & gently lay batting on smoothing out any wrinkles (may need to toss in dryer with damp towel for a few minutes first to get creases out); you'll want to start in the middle & work your way to each end; then do the same with quilt top.
- Your quilting should generally start close to the center. This is not as critical with glue basting as with other methods, but I'd still recommend starting with the pineapples.

Most importantly: HAVE FUN! The first few quilts you do will be labors of love. Unless you're the type of quilter that picks out every single stray stitch, it will be full of lovely imperfections. It's the reason why I keep my first "bed" (crib) quilt as my avatar. It reminds me of my beginnings & keeps me humble. I had quilted a table runner & placemats prior to that. The table runner was done with cheap monofilament thread because that's what the pattern recommended for beginners. Mono is quite temperamental & I bought probably the lowest quality on the market (JAF, 10+ years ago). It lasted for a good 7-8 years & then stitches started snapping. So I've added it to my To-Do pile & will re-do it with a near matching thread for SID (one shade greyer) and plan to add in some beautiful feathers & flowers FMQ as I've learned how to do those since the original construction of my runner. I do NOT pick out any stitches unless they fail to properly form (skipped stitches, loops on front, loops on back). That means I have some quilts that clearly show a progression in my quilting education (and truly, I still am a horrible piecer; I prefer needle turn applique or whole cloth quilting), but it also helped get me to my goal faster as I was able to get in much more practice in the same amount of time as if I had picked out every errant stitch 6x until flawless.

When you're ready to try FMQ, Leah Day has a ton of amazing YouTube videos (esp Free Motion Quilt Along series) & is an incredible teacher. But definitely take the time to learn to quilt with your walking foot first.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:32 AM

I read an article about thread and needle size and she ( don't remember who now) said she li!as to use a "quilting" needle, instead of a sharp, which I guess a lot of people use.
You need to match you thread to your needle. If the eye is tiny don't use a thicker thread.
As for what kind of thread, I have read here on the board many different opinions. Glide has good ratings, and I plan to try it myself someday. Lots of ravings about Aurafil. I personally have used gutermann with good results. Right now Im using Connecting Threads brand, which is working fine in my Janome.
To answer your question about top and bobbin, no not necessarily, but as a beginner, I would, and do, keep them the same type, weight.
I hope this helps. Many blessings on the wedding. We need pictures when the day comes! Gina
Old 08-01-2016, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
I read an article about thread and needle size and she ( don't remember who now) said she likes to use a "quilting" needle, instead of a sharp, which I guess a lot of people use.
Quilting needles are designed to work especially well with curved designs. They are tapered, making them less likely to pull at the quilt top fabric as it is moved through a curve. They also have a rounded tip, which I like for repro fabrics (or back when I did commissioned work, for vintage fabric) as it will glide easily between the wider weave and isn't sharp enough to catch on/fray the fabric.