Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Pancake Lovers :  This is fantastic >

Pancake Lovers : This is fantastic

Pancake Lovers : This is fantastic

Old 08-09-2016, 06:42 AM

I buy the one pint size of buttermilk when I can find it, and don't have to waste. Can sometimes find it at Walmart or Albertsons, but have had to buy the quart a few times. When that happens, I make buttermilk cornbread!
Old 08-09-2016, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by FAYE View Post
To save time put all your dry ingredients-plus the powdered buttermilk & prep 4 batches of dry mix & put in frig. Then when I need it I can beat the eggs & add the water, measure out a batch of dry mix....saves time & only 1 dry mix mess to clean up
I will have to make a dry mix and divide it in half for this widow to use. Made the full recipe this morning and boy would my spouse be happy to eat from the mile high pile of cakes. I got 12 cakes, put sets of 2 in the freezer and a few for this week. I used a GF flour mix and added about 1/2 cup buckwheat flour to hold it together better.

Will put in place of my older recipe. Thank you for posting.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:49 AM

I will have to try this, love the idea of premixing and having on hand to save time. Funny story on pancakes, I had an Irish Setter who loved pancakes. He would sit by the stove when I was cooking them waiting for his and yes I cooked some just for him. So whenever I make pancakes I think of Rusty sitting so patiently waiting for his. I have had 6 other Setters and 6 mutts and none of them has ever been so in love with pancakes.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

I make the dry mix and keep in pantry. I add the eggs, milk, and butter when needed. If you double or triple the dry part make each batch separately then combine. I use the dry mix to dredge chicken, okra, squash, etc for frying.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:33 PM

These sound good. I too do not like the taste of buttermilk for drinking but use it in salad dressings and sodabread.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Suz View Post
I always add coconut oil to my pancakes but plan to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Regarding buttermilk. I used to have a can of powdered buttermilk and would mix up just what I needed for a recipe. Don't have any now. Hope it is still on the market.
thank you for the tip on powered butter milk, did not know about that
Old 08-14-2016, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
For those of you that don't like buttermilk, but want to put it into a recipe like pancakes, you can freeze buttermilk in little baggies in the amount you need for the recipe. I'm not a fan of buttermilk either, but some recipes are just way better with it. I know that you can make buttermilk with lemon/vinegar and milk, but it just isn't the same. So I freeze my buttermilk and have it on hand whenever I need it.
oh wow, thank you for sharing, i will try this
Old 08-14-2016, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

I make these once in a while too! Sometimes when I am in the mood for a fall treat, I add a tiny bit of cinnamon to the batter cook and then pour sweetened condensed milk over them (instead of syrup) and a dollop of heated peach jam. Oh my it is so good! You can also use fresh cut fruit such as strawberries instead of the jam.

Girls, you cannot taste the buttermilk in the pancakes! It is used as a protein enrichment and leavening agent.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 08-14-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:20 AM

Is it required to put the pancakes in the oven ? Or is this to make sure they stay warm until you get everything else done? Thanks
Old 08-22-2016, 09:57 AM

Thanks for the heads up on powered buttermilk!!!!! Never thought that was available....and I checked, it's also at my local Walmart...so onto my grocery list it goes, and I don't have to bypass any buttermilk recipes anymore!