Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did I make a mistake buying the Janome 6600? >

Did I make a mistake buying the Janome 6600?

Did I make a mistake buying the Janome 6600?

Old 08-15-2016, 07:51 AM
mac

Hi everyone,
The postman brought my sewing machine late Saturday afternoon. I was fretting that it wasn't going to come as promised. I was practically doing a happy dance in front of him. The seller filled the box with blue foam to pack the sewing machine really carefully. As my husband walked into the room to see what all of the excitement was about, all he could see was all this blue foam flying out of the box everywhere; it looked like it was snowing. Which in my mind was appropriate since it felt like Christmas.

Finally the jewel came into view and when I tried to lug it out of the box - ugh - was it heavy. My husband had to pull it out for me. I am going to have to start lifting some weights just to be able to lift it. lol

The seller had packed the cord that he used to see if the machine worked and the machine purred like a kitten. I only used it for a couple of seconds since I know that sometimes you can do damage to the computer boards if you are not using the proper cords (or at least that is what all my electronic things warn you about) and I didn't want to take a chance on wrecking anything. So it will go in for a servicing right away.

Thank you, everyone, for telling me I didn't make a mistake in purchasing this machine. I am so looking forward to using this wonderful sewing machine. It is really great to know that so many of you are really happy with your Janome. I can't wait to see how it does with Free Motion Quilting. I love that it has a bigger harp than my old Bernina.

I have emailed a number of Janome dealers to see what kind of deals I can get on the accessories that I need and in no time she should be up an running. I'm just so excited!

All I can say is that I love the comradery of this board and how everyone is so helpful. Thanks, again.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:06 AM
Power Poster

Merry Christmas!!!
I am so happy for you that it arrived in good time, and all in good order.
Here's to many happy hours of sewing with your 6600.

As for the weight ... that is one of the things that make the 6600 such a great machine. If you have the space, you may want to get a desk/table, so you can leave it permanently set up ... and allow for sewing, whenever you have just a few minutes.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:31 AM
mac

Originally Posted by Tothill View Post
The original listing is gone from eBay, but I have to wonder how does the seller know it works if they do not have a power cord for it?
The seller had a cord that had two prongs holes like the machine. Not the right one, but it did work. He sent it with the machine, and that is how I could tell that it worked, too. However, I didn't use it for more than a second or two so that it wouldn't do damage to the computer board. There is a stop and go button on the machine so that you don't need a foot pedal. It is a really cool machine. After I get it serviced and some parts, I can't wait to use it.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Yay for you! Your description of the blue foam flying everywhere really made me chuckle! Have fun with your baby .
Old 08-15-2016, 08:41 AM
mac

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Merry Christmas!!!
I am so happy for you that it arrived in good time, and all in good order.
Here's to many happy hours of sewing with your 6600.

As for the weight ... that is one of the things that make the 6600 such a great machine. If you have the space, you may want to get a desk/table, so you can leave it permanently set up ... and allow for sewing, whenever you have just a few minutes.
I have a special table that fits my Bernina so that I can have that set up all of the time. Unfortunately, that table won't fit the 6600. I haven't broken it to my Bernina that she has been replaced. I'll have to do it gently, as she has been my work horse for the last 25 years.

I do remember that someone on the board, had their husband cut into a regular table and he added a box under the table so that their machine could set inside the box and she would have a flat surface to sew on. It think that is a good idea. I just happen to have a small wooden table that might be perfect for that. It would even give me a bigger surface to sew on.

I'll just have to get my thinking cap on...
Old 08-15-2016, 08:59 AM

Yayyy, congratulations on your new purchase. May it bring many years of prolific quilting ;-).
Old 08-15-2016, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mac View Post
I have a special table that fits my Bernina so that I can have that set up all of the time. Unfortunately, that table won't fit the 6600. I haven't broken it to my Bernina that she has been replaced. I'll have to do it gently, as she has been my work horse for the last 25 years.

I do remember that someone on the board, had their husband cut into a regular table and he added a box under the table so that their machine could set inside the box and she would have a flat surface to sew on. It think that is a good idea. I just happen to have a small wooden table that might be perfect for that. It would even give me a bigger surface to sew on.

I'll just have to get my thinking cap on...
You can soften the blow for your Bernina, by telling her that she deserves to enter into semi-retirement, and will always be your first love! ♥

Maybe you can convert your Bernina table by cutting the hole accordingly?
Did you get the clear plastic extension table for the Janome?
If so great, if not you might want to get one. Take the legs off, and let it sit on top of whatever table you end up using. That way, if the insert hole is not quite right sized, this will give the perfect fit.

Having your machine in and not on a table, will only make you love her more. Sorry Bernina!
Old 08-15-2016, 10:04 AM

My Janome MC6600P came with a table it sets into maybe you can find one for a reasonable amount. But if you DH can retro-fit a table you already have that is even better.

Hope you enjoy your machine as much as I do mine. (I am another one that uses the button rather than the foot pedal. I keep it around just in case I need it in the future.)
Old 08-17-2016, 04:32 AM

Very pleased for you, I have had mine for about 8 years and haven't had a single problem with it. An idea for later on maybe is a tute for making it sit flush with the top of a table and this I one my husband did for me. The web thingo is http://frommartawithlove.com/diy-ike...table-tutorial. She suggests the INGO table but we go the $149 called BJORKUDDEN. We thought it was bit stronger as the machine is heavy. We didn't have the Kreg jig kit she mentions but it turned out perfectly. I think we practised making a smaller hole first and bought a finer fret saw blade when we realised the jigsaw needed more manoeuvering ability and when it was finished we placed it on the hanging board underneath with some rubber sheeting to cushion it a bit Anyway, just an idea. Cheers
Old 08-17-2016, 05:45 AM

I have a Janome 6600 Memory Craft and love it. I quilt queen size quilts on it (saving the expense of taking quilts to a long-arm quilter. I think you probably got a very good deal. I ordered a new pedal and it was very reasonably priced. I'm sure you will be very happy with your purchase. Mine cost way more than $300 about 10 years or so ago.