Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting is Expensive! >

Quilting is Expensive!

Quilting is Expensive!

Old 08-14-2016, 08:55 AM

Beckyboo1, where is this great store in Mo.? I need to go.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kimcatlou View Post
Even the fabric at my beloved Mary Jo's has become very expensive, especially since her family took over!
Tell me about it!!
The entire personality of that store has changed... and not for the better.

I work in Charlotte, and drive thru Gastonia on my way home to SC.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
To Peckish and Cashsmom:
I think it is a generational thing. I was brought up in the 50's and back then it was the 'woman's thing' to do all she could to stay within budget. It was rare that the woman worked outside of the home if she had kids and so she had to make ends meet with just one household income and it was even worse if she was a single mom. But, at least single mom's were a little more independent. It was the husband who made the 'little woman' tow the line and keep costs down. There were no credit cards, so to speak, to spend more than you had. If you didn't have it, you didn't spend it. The little woman budgeted her money, was always looking for a bargain and if she needed a new dress or hat, she had to save her pennies for months before she could feel that she deserved it and wasn't taking food out of her children's mouth and even then she would only buy it if it was on sale.

Also, in my family the men always came first. My father worked in the steel mill and he, like so many others, worked really hard for their money. I remember one time that my mother took me aside and said to me that there were only two meatballs to serve with the spaghetti that night for dinner. She said that they were for my father and brother. The men had to work so they got the meat for strength.

It is a mindset like this that happened in the 50's where a lot of women got their "I don't deserve" attitude. In a way we were brought up as martyrs and it is a hard mindset to change. Thank goodness that women started burning their bras in the 60's and started elevating their positions in life or at least they started thinking that they were equals.

Of course, this is just my humble opinion on what happened...
I don't know. I was raised in the 50's, too. I guess I just never bought into any of that. My mom was always the martyr and I never thought it made her happy so I didn't go that route.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
Patrice, I think a lot of men think they know more about everything than they do. In many cases, it's a reflection of the attitudes they were raised with. When I was a kid, my father let me know that I should always let the boy win and he was serious about. God forbid I should wound someone's ego just because his equipment was different than mine. What antiquated bs! But it's a new world and women are taking their power back!
Oh, I know. My mom told me that, too. She never thought it was good that I was smart either. You're right it is antiquated Bacon Sandwich. Maybe that's why I find it so much fun to show my cars and be able to talk to some guy and know more than he does about them
Old 08-16-2016, 01:53 PM

A couple of weeks ago at Fabric Depot (Portland OR) a salesperson tried to sell me new, a digitally imaged cotton print for $26 per yard. Hmmm. NO. "But it's the newest, best technology..." for $26 a yard, it better be weaved from gold...
Old 08-16-2016, 04:53 PM

For a stiletto, I use a chop stick or my seam ripper. They work!! ;-) You can get chop sticks at the dollar store! I also use cutting mats from the dollar store for quilting templates as it doesn't seem to get brittle over time & the price is right! :-)
Old 08-17-2016, 06:34 AM

Patrice, My father fed me a awful lot of bacon sandwiches growing up! To this day, bacon sandwiches make me ill...

Last edited by SewingSew; 08-17-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

I respect authority, male or female, but never intimidated by it. I raised my two daughters to be the same. Never be cowed to accept what is dished out.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:27 AM

The most expensive fabric I have ever bought was $23 per meter plus shipping from New Zealand. I collected some FQ while on a trip there a few years ago. When I finally made them into a quilt, I was looking for background fabric with ferns, the national symbol. While I was searching online, up pops a tan fabric with brown outlines of the NZ flora with their name. Nothing else would do after I saw that one so I bit the bullet and ordered.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]556114[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0568.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	556114  
Old 08-17-2016, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by SewingSew View Post
Patrice, My father fed me a awful lot of bacon sandwiches growing up! To this day, bacon sandwiches make me ill...
Too many Bacon Sandwiches will do that to you . . .