Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which Sit-down Quilting machine? >

Which Sit-down Quilting machine?

Which Sit-down Quilting machine?

Old 08-15-2016, 07:37 AM

Bailey has some very good no frills machines. I own the Pro 15 that sits in a custom table. You can't beat the customer service either.

http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/homequilter.html
Old 08-15-2016, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

My friend bought one and she wished she had bought the model up from what she got. Just remember, this machine does nothing but FMQ.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:31 PM

I really appreciate the responses. Good suggestions/ideas to consider. Thanks so much.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:40 AM

I'm also looking for a sit down mid arm machine. I will share with you the experience I have.

My friend owns a 22 inch Gammill Charm. It is amazing to work on, and I've quilted on it a couple of times. I love the space, the orientation of the machine, parallel to the table and the line of vision is wonderful. For her, money was no object, so she got what she was familiar with... Also owns a Gammill long arm with computerized stitcher.

I've tried the HQ Sweet Sixteen at the local dealer, and didn't like the orientation of sitting looking at the head, Really didn't like the stitch regulator. For the way I quilt, I would have to move it constantly. I don't generally quilt intricate designs, and move across the quilt too quickly to want to stop and reposition it. Since I've been free motion quilting on my DSM for 6 years, I'm used to the sound of quilting without a stitch regulator and the regulator throws me off.

I recently went to the Innova dealer near me to try out their sit down. I really liked it. The price quoted me was $6995, and I found no difference in using it from using my friend's Gammill Charm. I liked the orientation of the machine in the table, and the clear sight lines. So far, this is the one I'll most likely purchase. The dealer is just 20 minutes from me, is very nice to deal with, gets rave reviews from everyone I've asked. He encouraged me to come back to the shop with a quilt project to quilt longer so I can really get the feel of the machine. I'm considering doing this with a table runner or small quilt.

I still would like to go try the APQS George. I've read some good things about this machine. My understanding is that it is very simple... Maintenance is very easy and apparently the tread path is very simple. The closest dealer who specializes in the sit down, is on the other side of the cities, so about 50 minutes away... which doesn't seem like a big deal, but if I need to go there for service or training, bucking traffic all the way through Mpls/St. Paul doesn't appeal to me... I gave up commuting 15 years ago when my daughter was born... so this is definitely a consideration for me.

I've automatically ruled out the Bailey machine from my search because of how low the 'arm' of the machine is. I don't want to tilt my head to be able to see the needle. My Janome 6600 is low like this and that's one of the things I'm trying to avoid.

Sorry to ramble on so, but hope you can find something useful in my ramblings. I've been saving for a bigger machine for about 5 years. I have nearly enough...

Last edited by Kris P; 08-16-2016 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:32 AM

Several sit down machines are made by Handiquilter, so check before you buy. I know Pfaff is one of them and is more expensive. I love my Sweet Sixteen. I don't use a stitch regulator. It is a waste of money in my opinion.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:45 AM

I tried out the Handiquilter. It was the only sit-down within 100 miles of us. But didn't like the orientation since I had been FMQing on a DSM. I purchased the Artistic 18 because I have a Janome dealer that I have purchased several machines from. However, mine was the first sitdown he had/has sold because they have no space in their store to demonstrate one. The price was such that I could justify the price at my age (79). Have used it for 18 months. Had a few problems at first with tension and breaking of thread. However, my dealer suggested a different bobbin and that was the answer. I have found that the breakage was just my getting use to moving the quilt sandwich. It does not like rayon thread on top but is okay with rayon thread in the bobbin. I can use Coat and Clarks 40 wt thread in both top and bottom with no problems. I love having the extra throat space and the table that it comes with. Have started doing ruler work with it and love the results. I have no need for a speed regulator. Have one on a DSM but don't use it.

My advice would be try several different machines and purchase the one that you like and can afford. We each come from a different place and thus make different decisions but make the right one for us.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

The biggest problem for me would be where in this small place could I put it.
Good luck finding the right one for you.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:25 PM

Thank you! I really appreciate your input.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:46 AM
Power Poster

After several years of testing machines I bought a Juki 22000 PRO. It is a strong machine patterened after their industrial machines which are the best. This is a longarm I bought but they make a sit down model with a nice work table. Their price was the best for the quality.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:27 PM

Mjhaess, I agree, Juki's are quality machines, and of course more expensive than HQ's, not sure I can get my husband to go along with it.....we'll see.