making your bed

Old 08-18-2016, 08:35 AM

I was taught as many of you were to make my bed every morning. I even "trained" several college roommates to do it and it made a difference in our small dorm rooms.
And like Citruscountyquilter, it emotionally makes me feel better - after my husband and mother died I went for almost a year not making my bed and then one morning it was the first thing I did. When I realized what I was doing, I knew my depression over their deaths was healing and I was feeling better. Since then I have noticed that when I am feeling sick, either emotionally or physically, the bed tends not to be made but when I start to feel better, those sheets and covers get straightened. I call it my own personal "health monitor"!
Old 08-18-2016, 08:56 AM

My husband makes the bed every morning. He also washes the bedding every week.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:35 AM

Doggramma, It sounds like you married well.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:58 AM

I make my bed every morning. I can't stand getting into a rumpled bed at night - just doesn't feel clean to me.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:07 AM

My former mother in law, made snotty comments when she was at my house one day and saw that the beds were not made. I got the "in my day...." comments and the talk about how she raised her sons.

I countered with the fact that I got up with the children, got them dressed, fed and to school on time, and myself to work, while her lazy a$$ son slept in and most days did not go to work. How did she expect me to make the bed with a man still in it?

I do not feel that not making your bed is a character flaw, a sign of laziness or making the bed a mandatory action.

Now that I am on my own, I generally make my bed, but not as soon as I get out of it. I sometimes make the bed around the cats.

On the day I wash the sheets, I wait until I bring the sheets back inside to make my bed. I love the smell of a line dried bedding.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:35 PM

Since I was widowed, I have never made my bed unless company is coming. Really, who cares?
Old 08-18-2016, 02:25 PM

I also make my bed every day -- sometimes that is the only thing that gets done before I'm out and about.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:14 PM

My bed is always made as soon as DH gets out of it. I get up,have 2 cups of tea,check mail & he is usually dressed by 8am. Time for my shower & to get dressed. Make the bed,open blinds.....start laundry & basically house is done.
Both DDs do the same & say if Mom's bed isn't made,time to call a Dr. ...Lol. Pat
Old 08-18-2016, 04:44 PM

Yes, we all 4 made our beds. The children, grown adults, don't make their beds now, but back in the day. . . .
Old 08-18-2016, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

I make my bed everyday without fail. I like the looks and my quilts look better spread out on a bed and not crumbled up. I take the quilt off at night, during warm or hot weather. My husband does breakfast dishes before we leave for work. Nice to come home with things straightened up. To each his own.