Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which is the bigger devil? >

Which is the bigger devil?

Which is the bigger devil?

Old 08-19-2016, 09:45 AM

I actually get most of my inspiration from the "real world" - my husband laughs at me because I am always snapping pictures of things that inspire me - could be a pattern on a fabric (hotel fabrics are great for quilt ideas) or maybe a tile floor, or maybe just patterns a fence is making with shadows on the ground.

A lot of it doesn't directly translate into a specific quilt, but that's the kind of thing that excites me and makes me feel creative.

When I'm actually MAKING a quilt, often my 'inspiration' is guided by how much I have of the fabrics I want to use. And by mistakes I make along the way, LOL.

I also doodle on graph paper a lot, and often play around in Eq7, looking for interesting pattern repeats if I twist common blocks this way or that. I've "made" probably hundreds of electric quilts, but most haven't made their way into fabric yet!
Old 08-19-2016, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

I am confused by Pinterest, so I don't go there. I am not a prolific quilter, mojo comes and goes, other things to do. I get some inspiration here, on line, at the quilt store, etc.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:25 AM
Power Poster

This is the only quilting site I visit regularly. I got in the habit of saving pictures of quilts quilting and/or pleasing color schemes to my hard drive way before pinterest was launched. I have a hundred or so. I go thru all the images about once a month and discard those that no longer pique my interest.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:26 AM

My true inspiration comes from the quilt I need to make next. So if I have new baby coming, or a birthday gift, or whatever I usually gear my quilt based on the reason for the quilt. But I do snap pictures from time to time. And the last time I was at Disneyland I was in the bathroom and noticed the floor was hexagons. It was pretty and I have been working on the EPP project so thought I would snap a picture. I was actually in a stall when I took the picture so people wouldn't think I was too weird, but when the camera made its click I wondered what the people near me must have thought.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I find my inspiration mostly here. At least here, you can contact the quilter with any question using our PM email.
Im with you! Pinterest is just a hodge podge of stuff..some new, some just ads, a lot just pics with no other info......like looking thru scrapbooks of total strangers...and can lead to some scary sites! I steer clear
Old 08-19-2016, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

I have yet to figure out how to navigate Pinterest - so the QB is my attention-getter.
Same here!
Old 08-19-2016, 12:10 PM

LOL....I am addicted to both!

But have learned SO much from the people here.....still lots to learn, though!
Old 08-19-2016, 12:19 PM

Pinterest is a time suck and I only allow myself 2 hours of connectivity a day.

I have a quilty ideas photo folder and I save quilt images to that.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:13 PM

If I'm on the computer I will usually visit here -- I get lots of tips and tricks, along with links to wonderful quilts. I get frustrated with Pinterest -- the same thing can show up multiple times and without a pattern. I figure why bother with just a picture!
Old 08-19-2016, 03:54 PM

Instagram is my favorite place for lots of inspiration. I like it way better than Pinterest. I finally figured out why. Pinterest makes it very easy to repin someone else's photo and less easy to pin your own. Instagram is the opposite - super easy to post your own photo and not very easy to repost someone else's. So I see lots more variety on Instagram, as well as fewer of those "only doable by people with full-time staff" type of projects that tend to go round and round on Pinterest.