Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Old Kenmore sewing cabinet and the leg is broken >

Old Kenmore sewing cabinet and the leg is broken

Old Kenmore sewing cabinet and the leg is broken

Old 08-19-2016, 10:01 AM

Default Old Kenmore sewing cabinet and the leg is broken

I received a 1959 Kenmore in a cabinet with drawers.
The front shorter leg by the drawer is broken.
I have the leg, the actual cabinet where the leg screws into the circle is there but probably two inches bigger than it should be.

Does anyone have any suggestions on repairs, or who I could take the cabinet to for repair.

Thanks!!!!
Old 08-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

Can you post a photo please???
Old 08-20-2016, 02:16 AM
Power Poster

I have a box of legs shoot a pic of how the legs attach. maybe I have a set somewhere
Old 08-21-2016, 12:59 PM

I actually have the leg, it is the bottom of the cabinet where it connects that is broken that I am trying to fix.

Here are some pictures of the entire cabinet, with the drawers taken out and then a close up where I have put the leg in the over sized hole.

I was thinking I have a couple of options
Plug the hole with wood putty
Remove the piece of wood in the actual cabinet, and put in a new one and then create the new hole in that piece of wood, but I had no clue how to get that entire piece of wood out, and then get it back in.
Remove both legs and have little cabinet built that was all shelves, but was worry about that scrapping the floor

Thank you for any help you can provide.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]556468[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]556472[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]556473[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]556469[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1185.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	556468   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	556469   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	556470   Click image for larger version

Name:	image 4.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	556472   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	556473  

Old 08-21-2016, 01:16 PM

Posted pictures for reference.

Thank you for any help you can provide me.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:16 PM

See below for pictures
Old 08-21-2016, 09:12 PM

Looks like that bottom piece is made of particle board http://www.homedepot.com/p/5-8-in-x-...5302/204996444 and the sides are made of plywood.
Particleboard is a waste-wood product that is made by mixing sawdust with adhesives. Although it will not bow or warp like plywood, it can swell and become unstable when exposed to water.
quote taken from Lowe's website.

In my experience, once particle board is broken it continues to break down. Removing the legs would not resolve the problem. The only fix is to replace the board.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:30 PM
Jim

PennyCandy is correct...the only fix to the problem is to replace the entire piece that that leg screws into..it you take exact measurements or even take the board off completely and take it to Lowe's they will cut a piece for you that will fit exactly,,,you can stain and poly it to match closely and being the bottom of the drawer...no one but you would ever know
Old 08-25-2016, 07:09 PM

It's going to be a lot of work. If the cabinet is one you like, it's worth the effort. Otherwise, I might trash it and find another cabinet.

First, you have to remove the existing board. Chances are it's just glued in. Going on the assumption that it's mostly glued, turn the table upside down to get to the piece. From the bottom, you can see where the side pieces and the bottom piece meet. Take a razor blade cutter of some sort (utility knife, paint scraper, etc.) and cut between the two pieces of wood. (Be sure and measure the piece that needs replacing before you start cutting, down to the 1/4 inch.) Cut that glue joint loose on both sides. Now, stand the cabinet upright and cut it loose from the top. (A paint scraper might work best here, as it's flatter.) Keep working on the glue joint until you get the piece to turn loose. Then, replace the bottom piece with a new piece of wood.

If you have a friend with woodworking tools, you can just cut that bottom piece off flush with the sides and use a router to remove the small amount that would still be there.

I've made a crude drawing of how that piece is in there so you can see how to remove it. (If you run into a staple or a nail, just pull it out.)

If you find it's worth the effort, the replacement will take just gluing it back in and compressing (holding it together and tight) the whole thing while the glue dries.

bk
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	556901