Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Snuggle Tails Mermaid quilt >

Snuggle Tails Mermaid quilt

Snuggle Tails Mermaid quilt

Old 08-20-2016, 03:05 PM

Default Snuggle Tails Mermaid quilt

Purchased this pattern from Nancys and was so disappointed that the pattern has to be drawn by me basically. Want to use minky, my granddaughter is really into mermaids. Not sure I can do this now I'm thinking maybe I should leave the bottom open so she can walk with it on because the pattern tells you they are not responsible if the child falls. Also, what should I use for the lining if she walks with it on so it doesnt wear out from the friction. The pattern is by Wendt Quilting. Anyone have any suggestions? Would greatly appreciate any advice. Have to say they did give a pattern for the tail but I not sure about how to go about the rest of the pattern. Is it suppose to go to her waist or higher? How wide should I make it around her hips? These are the thoughts in my head. Sorry if I sound stupid.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:12 PM

It is described as a bag with a mermaid tail.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

This is a tail for a sort of like costume. No wonder they give a warning on what to use.
http://www.wendtquilting.com/shop/Pa...d-x7178387.htm
Old 08-21-2016, 01:12 PM

Even if you put in feet holes, it doesn't have enough room for her to move her legs, which means she would be hopping -- really not safe. Could be fun for TV time or bed time, but I really can't see this as a good idea for children to be walking in this. It would be the equivalent of tying their legs together.

What about taking the top of the pattern (I haven't seen it, so I assume there is a top & bottom -- it not, you'd just roughly cut it in half) and using it as an applique on a regular bed quilt?
Old 08-21-2016, 01:44 PM

I just saw a cute mermaid quilt yesterday at a LQS. It was a maybe twin size or a little smaller with the mermaid made with various block shapes in the middle. Might be less stressful and more useful than a mermaid tail costume. Send me a PM if you'd like me to go to the shop tomorrow for more information. It is not far from me.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:05 PM

Default Mermaid

Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
I just saw a cute mermaid quilt yesterday at a LQS. It was a maybe twin size or a little smaller with the mermaid made with various block shapes in the middle. Might be less stressful and more useful than a mermaid tail costume. Send me a PM if you'd like me to go to the shop tomorrow for more information. It is not far from me.
Thank you for your information. Yes please give me the site where I could get more information. I think the quilt shape rather than something to get into would be much safer. She is so crazy about mermaids I just wanted to surprise her but if I just cut it out rectangle and laly the mermaid shape on top would be sefer not sure how it would look. Have to try thanks for your response.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:07 PM

Thanks I was worried about that too. Like your idea very much
Old 08-21-2016, 04:10 PM

Yes, that is the pattern I purchased. Thanks
Old 08-22-2016, 05:33 AM

I made my GDs regular twin size quilts very plain, but put the outline of a mermaid using the material used for dance and bathing suits , so when they cover up their heads are the heads of the mermaid . I also crocheted them each an afghan mermaid blanket, similar to the pattern. I did keep the tail open for their feet to go through and they have not had a problem walking around with it on. Good luck in what ever you decide to make. I am sure your GD will love it.