Went to "see" a movie...

Old 08-24-2016, 05:11 AM

Default Went to "see" a movie...

...yesterday...early show - 4pm. The movie - BenHur. This was at a multi screen facility....I know it has a name to describe that, but can't think of it right now...but you know what I mean.......anyway, don't go to theater often, nothing interests me enough to do, but thought this might be a good reason. We (dd and I) were the only ones in that viewing area...and the seats were sort of adjustable, so comfy. I felt like I was in my own private (extra large) media room....after a gazilion commercials, the movie began! Lloud, had to put a bit of Kleenex in each ear.....the 3D effect was not that impressive. The camera work in some of the scenes was so close you couldn't really figure out what was going on...usually in the "action" scenes, and some of the scenes were so wobbly it almost made me dizzy...like the camera was handheld.....and not steadily...the story was a bit choppy, but I did enjoy the scenes with Morgan Freeman...such a good actor with a great voice...I did not recognize any of the others..shows you I've been under a bushel for a long time! All in all, not my greatest 2 hrs......I know I have the "original" BenHur here at home, will find it and watch that version.......just thought I'd share the experience.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

That was probably a loud movie anyway. I don't like those kind of action thrillers or suspense so the movies I see are mostly more quiet although still loud to some extent. I saw Florence foster Jenkins and really enjoyed it. totally different kind of movie.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:47 AM

It would be difficult to improve on a classic like the original Ben Hur and from the reviews I've read they haven't. I have to agree about the loud sound in theaters and I'm hard of hearing.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:53 AM

i heard on the news that is was a flop, sad cuz i am a morgan freeman fan too
Old 08-24-2016, 07:57 AM

I love anything with Morgan Freeman. I'm interested in seeing this remake. I loved the original with Charlton Heston--back in his glory days. Geri, I know what you mean about the gazillion commercials. I hate sitting through those. When I go to the theater, I try to time it right so that I don't have to endure the commercials. It takes away from the movie experience, in my opinion.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

I remember going to see the original Ben Hur, after having read the book a million times. I was upset that Ben Hur's hair color was light, while in the book it was dark. I guess I was a lot more literal back then. The original was so good, I don't think a re-make was a good idea. (I hated the re-make of Ghost Busters, and I actually saw that one.) I usually enjoy the new movie trailers before the show starts. For most of them my response is that I don't want to see the movie, but a few look interesting, so I decide to see them - usually after they come to television, LOL.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:28 AM

Dunster, I didn't like the re-make of Ghost Busters either, but I also wasn't crazy about the original. I watched them both because my husband had an interest in them. I think the re-make of most things are a disappointment. And books are amost always better than the movie.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:39 AM

I don't think I have ever seen a remake that was as good as the original. And who could ever out act Charlton Heston?
Old 08-25-2016, 03:04 AM

Remakes are usually horrid compared to the originals they copy

Old films have great old actors like Chuck Heston , Stephen Boyd etc so a new film does not have a chance as most of the actors today are not as good

The writers today also have no imagination so need to steal ideas from past movies or remake them

If you want to see an exception to this see the new Meryl Streep movie it is delightful
Old 08-25-2016, 07:52 AM

I never pay the extra for 3-d. The reviews for this movie are not good.