Went to "see" a movie...

Old 08-25-2016, 08:47 AM

My daughters and I go to the movies fairly often. We have found that we only go to the Arclight theaters because they have larger seats, larger walkways and you pick your seats when you buy your tickets. They also do not let folks in after the movie starts. We usually go at 5 or 6 (my girls like that I get the senior discount!) so it has a good crowd. This is after the young kids and before the date night folks. We really like action movies and thrillers which are normally very loud, but by picking your seats, we know we will be away from the huge side speakers. If I am paying $10 for a ticket, I want to enjoy the experience. Also, I do not go to the 3D showing, they always have a regular showing available.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:36 AM

I saw the new Ben Hur last weekend and enjoyed it. I did not choose 3D as I don't like that effect. I thought the new movie highlighted the theme of forgiveness well. I'm not a huge action movie fan but I did enjoy this one, and it had a good message.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:04 AM

My friend and I went to see Florence Foster Jenkins yesterday. What a wonderful movie. We loved it. It didn't stay long in our local theaters so we traveled to a nearby town. I always go crazy for costumes. I took costuming in collage and I'm always overwhelmed with the work and detail put into them. If I'd know more about the movie we would have worn our tiaras.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
never saw a remake of a movie that was better than the first and original.
we have a theater like that here. they are recliners with a desk top to put your goodies on.
There is a lady with a cart on the floor part of the theater with sodas and stuff, so you don't
have to leave the theater. I want a bathroom in the theater so when i have to go, i can listen to what's happening.
I'm not a fan of remakes either. Lately, it seems like that's mostly what it out there so I just don't go.

I second the bathroom in the theatre.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

My thought was "why try to redo what is considered one of the greatest movies ever made"? It just look so packed of too much going on even in the commercial. Thanks for your review.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:38 AM

I didn't go to the first Ben Hur, but hubs did and wanted to see the remake. So we did the 3D thing. It was enjoyable to me (the 3D). I enjoyed the movie, as I had not seen the first. Some parts seemed disjointed, so had to pay attention, but agree that it got the message of forgiveness across. Texted my son that we saw it and he informed me that we had the VHS of the original during his growing up years and he watched it many times. HUH? We did? Where was I during that...and I thought I kept a tight rein on him! HA!
Old 08-26-2016, 06:27 AM

Since I'm such an OCD type person I want to say that I LOVE the Charleston Heston version of Ben Hur but it was actually not the original version of this movie. There were 2 silent versions made, one I remember seeing. And they're pretty good considering the time. Nope, I'm not over 100 years old😄😄. I just love movies including the silent ones. I had heard this version is junk but I had planned on NOT seeing it anyway. I think the movie studios just don't know how to make original movies sometimes as there seem to be lots of remakes - most are not good. Personally, I get a real hoot out of the animated movies. I'm usually the only adult without a child in the theater. And these are the ones I purchase for my grandchildren - which I do not have - waiting for my son to find a wide and "cooperste😄😄😄. OK they are for me.
Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 08-26-2016, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Yep we love our home theater and the dog does too. I saw the original BEnHur and Ghost Busters. I myself am not into remakes.
Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
never saw a remake of a movie that was better than the first and original.
we have a theater like that here. they are recliners with a desk top to put your goodies on.
There is a lady with a cart on the floor part of the theater with sodas and stuff, so you don't
have to leave the theater. I want a bathroom in the theater so when i have to go, i can listen to what's happening.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:05 AM

As far as the loud sound in so many movies today, I have stepped out and asked politely if they would please turn down the sound somewhat. In every instance they do and I can enjoy the movie so much more. The other people around me don't seem to even notice that it has been turned down.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:16 AM

Hubby and I discussed going to this movie and decided it was too long and brutal and we will just remember seeing the original.