Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you fear this as much as me? >

Do you fear this as much as me?

Do you fear this as much as me?

Old 08-28-2016, 05:46 PM

Not afraid of the cans but I hate peeling the label to open canned biscuits. Scares me every time they pop open before I wack the tube.
Old 08-28-2016, 06:10 PM

Any type of chip bag or sealed package, I have given up trying to open, I just use scissors.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

Go look in the gadget section. I am sure there is something that will make it easier for you to open. You might check out QVC.com, they always seem to be showing the neatest gadgets.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:09 AM

I rinse sharp can lids and drop them in a slot that I cut in the side of a 1/2 gallon plastic juice jug. Store under the sink and when it's time to discard, jug goes in the trash. Safer than cutting someone. Saw this on Pinterist (of course!)
Old 08-30-2016, 05:44 AM

use a towel or a pot holder to hold onto when pulling, some are really hard getting them to come off.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:33 AM

You can ask at the pharmacy for regular non child proof caps. And I put a thick rubber band around a stubborn jar lid to help me open it. Works like magic.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:41 AM

As others have said: All of the above! With the soda cans, the metal is so flimsy, it is almost impossible to hold them securely without squeezing the bajeebus out of them. With the foil seals, I use a paring knife to split it then peel it off half at a time. And what about those plastic water bottles. So flimsy and filled so much that one gets soaked just trying to get it open.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:57 AM

This is a good thread. There is a tool for opening those can top rings. I think it is sold by Starcrest or one of those companies who send you all those slips in the mail. I haven't seen it lately, but have considered buying it. It looks like one end of a boat anchor (but not so large, LOL).

Don't forget about your scissors. My "food" scissors is in the drawer with tableware, so is always available for foil bags, packets, string cheese, and lots of other stuff.

We write the name of the medicine on the non-child-proof cap and save them to go on the next bottle. Both caps fit the same bottles. It is easier to read what's inside. Their printing on the label is so small.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:39 AM

You know those amber colored medicine bottles that you get at the pharmacy? Well, I didn't realize until about 2 years ago that you can turn the child proof cap upside down & it will screw onto the bottle without having to push down that tab while turning the cap. Duh! What a revelation that was for me. I don't have trouble with those bottles but it sure makes life easy for those who do.

Here's how one of those ring pull can openers work:

http://www.sears.com/search=timekeep...20can%20opener

I think I will get one of those. Seems like more & more companies are going with that type of lid on their food.

Last edited by osewme; 09-03-2016 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:18 PM

Honestly, I hate ALL metal lids. I am super careful with them. The reason is that I saw what happened to my grandmother's index finger back in the 70s. She opened a Baskin Robbins ice cream store, and one time cut her finger on a metal can. It got infected, and antibiotics didn't help. She ended up having to have the top of her finger amputated.