Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to Transfer Coloring Book Page Onto Muslin? >

How to Transfer Coloring Book Page Onto Muslin?

How to Transfer Coloring Book Page Onto Muslin?

Old 08-28-2016, 10:49 PM

Just realized u r not considering photo transfer
😋
Old 08-29-2016, 02:24 AM

If you don't have a light box, a window works good that has good lighting. Tape everything to the window.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:24 AM
Power Poster

If you have a clear project box like the scrapbooking kind, just throw and LED light in it. I have the large clear boxes I pick up on sale or maybe you can find one at the discount stores. They make great light boxes. Michaels have them on sale every once in a while.
Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I would use a light box and trace the design onto the muslin using a blue water soluble marking pen like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Wrights-88230...dp/B003WMI6JA/

You do need to soak in water to remove the blue later on, so you would want to make sure that your red thread is not going to bleed.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:41 AM

I have used a red Frixion pen and light box to transfer patterns to muslin to do redwork several times. I use the red pen because it will not continue to show no matter what you do since it is red. I should add that I am one who does not use Frixion pens for anything else quilting because I fear it will come back or cause shadowing with the residue at some future date.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:23 AM

I use a pigma pen that matches the color of the thread, trace it onto fabric, iron it to set it in and embroider. The Crabapple hill patterns use this method and after doing 8 of their quilts..I can say with confidence it works.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:46 AM

If you don't mind the picture being reversed.....I made a photocopy of a coloring book page then ironed the copy onto my fabric. The image transferred to the fabric. I've made several blocks in this manner.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

Please test first to ensure these products work for you on a scrap of the muslin you intend to use. You can try using Saral graphite transfer paper and a stylus. I describe how to do it here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...g-t275470.html

While this tutorial uses white transfer paper on a dark fabric, the principal is the same using Saral graphite on light colored muslin fabric. Sometimes the first mark is clear and dark enough that you don't need to go over it again.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:03 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I used a light box and traced the image onto the muslin. (I used a regular blue mechanical pencil). Seemed to work out just fine.

Will definitely look for the transfer pens next time I am at JAF or Hobby Lobby. Will also need to try the ironing of a copy onto the fabric.

Thanks again, everyone!
Old 08-29-2016, 02:25 PM

Dottiequilts- I use the same method and for the same reason! Love the Crabapple Hill designs. My DH made me a large light box for my projects.

Originally Posted by dottiequilts View Post
I use a pigma pen that matches the color of the thread, trace it onto fabric, iron it to set it in and embroider. The Crabapple hill patterns use this method and after doing 8 of their quilts..I can say with confidence it works.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:50 PM

http://www.joann.com/iron-on-transfe...D4TRoCPNjw_wcB

There are other brands, too. We did this a lot when we wanted to hand embroider on pillowcases and towels.