Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I crazy? >

Am I crazy?

Am I crazy?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:20 PM

it's a tedious chore but doable--make sure you work from the back and have good lighting!
Old 09-01-2016, 10:05 PM

Good luck with unpicking.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:54 AM

Sounds like a good project to do while you watch tv. I have always supplied my own batting so that I know what is in my quilt.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

I agree with everyone else. But you absolutely NEED to show the longarmer before you skin it so she knows there is a problem with the batting she is using. How can she (or he) fix the problem if they don't know it exists? You may be pleasantly surprised and the longarmer may just offer to requilt it at no charge in order to have a happy customer.

Please, let your longarmer know. I know I would want to know if a client was unhappy with my quilting, ANY aspect of it. Additionally if I had a batting that did not perform after washing I would most definitely not want to use it in any more quilts and may just go back to the manufacturer.

Did the batting also beard? This is a common problem in wool battings, especially ones that don't have a scrim or haven't been treated to be washable.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 09-02-2016 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:14 AM

I did it once and was glad I did. I loved the quilt and did not want to waste all of the beautiful fabric and lots of money. I set aside a bit of spaced and worked on it an hour a day until done. I re-quilted it. After I washed it all evidence of the previous quilting was gone and it looked great. My problem was that I had used a quilting thread that was absolutely wrong. I used white, 40 weight thread on dark colors. Ugly! I re-quilted with a matching color and it was quite nice. Glad I did it.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:26 AM

Not knowing you personally I can't really say if you're crazy or not, BUT, you would not be considered crazy to take out all the quilting and "have a redo." You'll be so much happier if you do. Your heart will smile every time you see the 'redo' for sure! Good luck and please post pics when it's done!
Old 09-02-2016, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
Sounds like a winter project while sitting in front of the Tv in the evenings!
What a great idea! It can cover and keep her warm while she rips. PBS is running a Downton Abbey marathon starting tonight and running all weekend. Too warm to cover up with the quilt but would be perfect entertainment to rip by.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:19 AM

I agree with Feline, you don't have to "confront" her/him, just make them aware and maybe ask if there is anything they can do about it, you may be happily surprised. I certainly would want to know if there was a problem with my work or products, a bad review can ruin their reputation. And don't forget to let us know what you decide and how it works out. I have skinned my own quilts before because I wasn't happy with my own quilting!
Old 09-02-2016, 05:32 AM

Not all wool battings are washable, so it might not be a quality issue. I recall someone describing the Hobb's Tuscany wool batting dissolving in the way you describe, when washed (but that was a test wash of the batting itself, when not incorporated into a quilt). But the longarmer should have mentioned if it was not a washable wool. I agree, definitely tell her what happened.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:00 AM

First, take a picture so you a " before picture", then take the quilt to the LA and discuss what happened, how, and what are the two of you going to do to fix this. You could offer to skin it, the see what she is going to fix. (If she says she wont fix anything, well then you know where you stand with this LA). My technique for skinning is to work from the back,and with a small ripper, slide the blade under 1 stitch until it is gently sliced. Go up 3-5 stitches and slice one stitch. Repeat for about 18 inches. Flip to the right side, lift one stitch in the middle of the 18 picked stitches and lift. The entire 18 Inches should gently lift up. No pulls, no holes, rips, tears,or fabric distortions. Good luck...how about a before and after picture? Wish I was there to help