Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Is There a Point to me Hanging onto my Featherweight? >

Is There a Point to me Hanging onto my Featherweight?

Is There a Point to me Hanging onto my Featherweight?

Old 08-21-2016, 09:09 AM

If you are questioning whether or not you should keep it then in my experience it has meant that I'm pretty much ready to get rid of it. Also, that I'm ready to get rid of it with no quilt.

I've been cleaning out clutter and things I do no have room for. I want to live in a clean, clutter-free, everything-has-a-place, functional and pretty house. I "released" three machines this summer. I gave them to my sister for her to either keep or sell. I've been sorting through everything and either throwing it away, giving it to someone who wants it, or donating it. It's a great feeling and I haven't missed the machines I gave away. I hope they are loved and used by someone and not sitting in my home when I don't think I'll ever actually use them.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:23 AM

I wonder a bit about this thread, by now it's on the sixth page of replies and not a single follow up from the original poster. It sort of activated a lot of response for nothing.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:15 AM

Hi, I'm new here and even though the OP has not responded, I think this is an interesting conversation. I have a FW and really like using it.
Ive met a number of people who think the FW isn't as useful, since it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the new machines. I love accessories! The things the FW will do, with accessories, is amazing. I've collected and used them and the ingenuity is awesome.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:46 AM

Maybe OP is taking it all in. No need to reply.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:21 PM

Weighing in here to say I've had 3 FWs at one point but gave one to my best quilting buddy. Use the other 2 on occasion. Just released 6 machines this week to a charity quilting group ~ 3 of those machines were in cabinets. I mainly use about 4 different machines while having way too many. Despite my love for my FWs, I am in the "let it go if it doesn't make your heart sing" crowd.

To the poster who talked about not bonding with the model 66, 2 of those I released were 66s and I have another 1 possibly 2 to release along with 3 201 models. Another one I cant seem to bond with but I love the 15s.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bitord View Post
Hi, I'm new here and even though the OP has not responded, I think this is an interesting conversation. I have a FW and really like using it.
Ive met a number of people who think the FW isn't as useful, since it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the new machines. I love accessories! The things the FW will do, with accessories, is amazing. I've collected and used them and the ingenuity is awesome.

Same feet any other short shank machine uses. I prefer using a full size machine when using accessories for more room.

Cari
Old 09-02-2016, 02:34 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies!
This has turned into a fun thread .... I'm glad that it isn't "just for me."

Yes, I've been absent.
My daughter is marrying soon .... lots going on with planning a large scale wedding. She's marrying a VIP.
Plus there's back-to-school with my son.
I haven't worked in a good while but have updated my resume.
Our local district had a last minute opening for a Family & Consumer Science teacher. My dream job!
Oh what I wouldn't give to have an interview.

My husband took vacation & we had our living room updated.
That meant new furniture (yay! 1st time ever, really .... always had hand-me-downs).
A much larger undertaking than I would have liked, but he insisted.

Meanwhile, my FW still sits under my "table" that I do most of my cutting & organizing on.
Do you keep the machines (mostly) in their cases? Mine is usually in it's case.

I'm going to get it out today if I have time.
I don't feel like sewing on it but I want to check it out again.
I actually have another older machine (darling!) ... Westinghouse maybe? It's blue.
Trying to figure out how I can display this little piece of heaven in my newly decorated living room.

With my husband traveling again this fall, I think I'm going to try to make one of those trips with him AND take the FW with me & see how it goes. I would love to sew in the hotel. Pretty sure I'll hang on to it. It's my birth year, after all. Someone somewhere one day will want to have it, I'm sure.
Fortunately I didn't pay $500 for it.
I think I paid $375.

Thanks for all your thoughts! I read each & every one with great interest.